My Funny Valentine

We were talking everyday now. About everything. And those phone calls had become the highlight of my days. I had eyes for no man and no interest in dating. When friends tried to fix me up with blind dates, I politely turn them down. Why should I look any further? I had Rich and we had the music. It was pure magic.

Late in January, we were chatting on the phone and Rich was describing to me the snow storm that had blown through South Jersey. I told him how much I loved the snow and that we hardly got any down here in Georgia and then when we did everything shut down. He seemed to find that amusing.

"Looks like it's coming down again pretty hard," he remarked. "Sure wish you were up here with me enjoying it."

"Oh, but then I'd be stuck up there," I moaned in mock horror. "No flights out."

"Oh dear," Rich replied, also mocking. "What would your mother and all your friends say then? Stuck up here, snowed in with a wicked, old Yankee?"

I was laughing. "It would be quite the scandal," I simpered, exaggerating my accent.

Rich grew serious then. "But hey, we could curl up on the couch, sip some hot chocolate, watch a Man and His Music...and see what happens."

"That would be nice," I said coyly. Then on a whim I started to sing, "I really can't stay..."

"But, baby it's cold outside," Rich rejoined without hesitation.

"I've got to go away..."

"But, baaaaby it's cold outside."

"This evening has been..."

"Been hoping that you drop in," he crooned.

"...so very nice!" I continued singing.

"I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice!"

I started giggling and I could hear Rich's deep chuckle over the phone.

"You have a beautiful voice," he commented. "I didn't know you could sing."

I was flabbergasted. Coming from him, that was a huge compliment. "Well, I'm in the choir at church but I don't really sing sing."

"Why am I not surprised you're in the choir?" he asked.

I giggled. I seemed to be doing a lot of that lately. "Because it's what is expected of a prim, well brought up Southern girl."

He answered with a kind of soft groan that sound half tortured, half amused. "I need to meet you."

I was silent for a long moment. "Yes?" I said softly.

"Is that something you want too, by any chance?" he asked.

"I would absolutely love that," I said.

He took a deep breath then sighed. "After Valentine's Day is usually pretty slow for me... Atlanta's about a twelve-hour drive."

"You seriously want to drive down here to see me?" I asked incredulously.

"Hadley, you have no idea." He paused. "I'm crazy about you."

I knew. He said it now just about every time we spoke. And every time he said it, I had no idea what to say back.

"I mean it," he reiterated.

"I know," I whispered.

He sighed heavily. "I don't like that you're there and I'm here."

I swallowed. "So...you're going to come to see me?"

"Oh, you betcha," he answered with a smile in his voice. "You're damn right I am."

I was grinning from ear to ear and I knew I couldn't hide the happiness and excitement in my voice as I answered him. "Then come on."