Chapter 1 - The Meeting

Ana had spent the night in the brig due to an incident with a supervising officer. She was due to join the next skiff to cross the Fold. The general had sent Ivan to retrieve the general's mate.

"The general wishes to see you in his tent along with Miss Romanoff," he spoke to the first army commander. Ana was let out of the cell and followed the grisha to the general's tent. The darkling's breath caught in his throat as his soulmate entered the tent. He had waited a long time to meet her.

"My love, I'm so happy to finally meet you." he took her hand and placed a light kiss on her knuckles. "Commander, I would like to know why my wife was locked in a cell."

"Wife?"

"Yes. Is there a problem?" Aleksander said, wrapping an arm around Ana's waist.

"No, general. There was a misunderstanding."
Ana scoffed.

"Sure if you call sexual harassment a misunderstanding." Aleksander turned to his soulmate, furious about the situation.

"Please, tell me what happened." he looked at her softly.

"The quartermaster had too much to drink, he was making inappropriate comments. I tried to walk away, but he grabbed my arm. He pulled me to him and grabbed my ass. Then I punched him." The general got more and more angry.

"The quartermaster is to be stripped of his title and take my wife's place on the next skiff." he sneered.

"Yes, General," and with that he left along with Ivan, leaving Aleksander and Ana alone. She took a small step away from the general.

"Thank you for that, but I think there's some sort of mistake. We're not married."

"Not yet, my love, but we are soulmates."

"I've been told that before. How do I know you're not lying?" Aleksander lifted his left sleeve revealing his mark. A black silhouette of an eclipsed sun with tendrils coming out the bottom, same as his sigil. Ana lifted her left sleeve as well, holding her forearm next to his. A soft light emanated from them as their marks touched, completing their soulmate bond. As the light dimed, Aleksander reached for her face. The woman's heart was beating so fast she could hardly breathe.

"I swear to you, that as long as I'm alive, no one will ever hurt you again." she stepped away from him to catch her breath. She had dreams of her soulmate but she doubted she would ever meet him considering she was from another world.

"Were you tested when you were little?" Ana was broken out of her thoughts by Aleksander breaking the silence.

"What?"

"Tested," he repeated softly "to see if you're a grisha?" he reached out to touch her, but hesitated. He thought it would be best not to overwhelm her. She shook her head no. She questioned how to tell him that she was from another world that didn't have grisha, just people with special unique abilities. She had learned about the ways of this world when she got here. Asking the soldiers questions while trying not to draw attention.

"May I?" She nodded yes. He gently grabbed her hand and scratched her palm with his ring. Shadows came pouring out.

"Perfect." Alexander felt complete. His soulmate had the same abilities as him. He took out his handkerchief and wrapped her hand with it. "I will teach you everything you need to know about summoning when we get back to the Little Palace, and we'll be married-"

"Stop" the darkling felt his heart stop as she said that word and stepped away from him, afraid she would reject him. The pain would be unbearable. "This is... a lot to take in right now. Can we just take this one step at a time?"