1. Don't Be Like A Prey

Life can be dangerous. There are those who seek the thrill of adventure and those who shy away from it. For some people, the danger comes to them. But what if it's both? Is it a recipe for disaster or for a new adventure? It's up to that person to decide.

Sick of living in poverty, Lyra had always made her own way. Her soft light features, wavy brown hair, and stunning bright green eyes helped her to use people in the way she needed. Not that she liked doing it, but it was necessary to accomplish her goals. She had made her way through college on her own, paying her own way by working jobs with a meager salary and putting up with every kind of harassment imaginable from her employers and from the men that she dated to keep food on the table. All of that was over now. She had finished her degree in criminal justice and had received the good news that her interview went so well that she got the job. It was a job that scared her, but she was excited to see where it went. She loved the adrenaline rush of roller coasters, haunted houses, and watching true crime shows. That made her classes so much more interesting. The cases were real, but some of them were close to him. Some of them are a little too close for comfort.

Knowing it would be difficult for her, she had accepted a job as a prison guard in South Korea at a prison that housed both men and women in separate facilities. It would be a big transition, leaving her family and friends behind, but she knew she could do it.

The only problem was that she hadn't told her current boyfriend, Drew, that she was leaving in just a few days, and they needed to break up. Not wanting to have a serious discussion about whether he would come with her or not, she decided to wait until the last minute to tell him. They had only been dating a few months, and things had been casual between them, so she hadn't anticipated his reaction.

Inviting him over two days before she was scheduled to leave, she made them both a nice dinner with steak, potatoes, and a glass of wine for each of them. She needed something to calm her nerves and thought the alcohol would help her get through.

"We need to talk, Drew."

"Yes, I think we do." She thought he was about to turn the tables and break up with her. It would have made things easier, but instead, he said, "I think we should take things to the next level. I want you to be my girlfriend. I've never been happier than when I'm with you." That was not what she was expecting, and it made things so much harder. She still had to do what was best for her.

Letting out a sigh, she pinched her nose between her two fingers and looked up at him. "Drew, no. That's not what I meant. I can't be your girlfriend."

"Well, why the hell not? We've been dating for months. Please don't tell me you're married. Then this was all for nothing." Presumptuous of him but whatever. It would all be over soon anyway, and she'd be away from this nightmare. She'd never have to speak to him again. Especially since she was moving overseas.

"I got a job overseas. I'm leaving in two days."

Thinking it over for a few moments, he responded, "Well then, I'll wait for you to come back. Or better yet, I'll look for a job there and move with you. I don't want to lose you."

That was a ridiculous statement. Where was this coming from? He hadn't been clingy these past few months, and he even let her have as much space as she needed. This was not how she imagined the night would go.

"No, I'm sorry. I want to break up. I need a new start. I'm sorry that it's not with you." She waited for his response, expecting him to at least acknowledge what she had said. He couldn't even look her in the eye.

Getting up from the table a little too calmly, he picked up his things and walked to the door. Opening it before she could even stand up, he slammed it behind him, causing a small picture frame of her and her family to fall off the wall onto the floor. The glass shattered into a million pieces, and she was forced to clean it up before her, her cat, or one of her guests stepped on it, walking into the entryway.