4. Save Me, I'm Being Punished

Flashback

Author's POV/Jimin

The sky had opened up and it was pouring during the middle of his excursion with his cousin Baro. He had invited Jimin along on a camping trip that had turned out to be anything but fun. At least they didn't have to spend their time in a tent. Jimin hated bugs but not as much as Hoseok or Jin. No one else had shown and it was just him and his alcoholic cousin getting plastered in the middle of the day. He decided to have a few along with him since they weren't going anywhere. He had agreed to spend the night in the small rickety house on the land Baro owned. There wasn't much around and he couldn't see a way out of it now that he was there. Just a lot of trees and some wildlife. 

Baro had been adopted illegally from a North Korean family. His parents had escaped shortly after his mother gave birth to him in North Korea. It was extremely dangerous. Even with the help they were likely to get killed but luckily they made it out alive. Since they couldn't afford to take care of themselves they had decided giving up their child to someone who could take care of him would be best. Jimin's aunt and uncle had always been well off but his uncle had a criminal record and his wife was unable to have kids. They'd never approve of adoption so when one of his uncle's friends told him about the opportunity they jumped at the chance. Even though they weren't related by blood, Jimin still thought of him as family. Very distant family.

The alcohol was so strong that Jimin was having a hard time keeping up. Most of the day was spent inside the house staring at the TV and eating the few items Baro had stocked in the fridge. The atmosphere was terrible. None of the furniture was comfortable or even put together properly.  Neither of them had much in common. Baro liked to spend his time doing things like hunting and fishing, going to bars, and getting drunk. None of it was really Jimin's thing so he sat there staring into space while trying to stomach the disgusting beer Baro had brought. Sure, he would drink occasionally but his choice of drink was much classier. At least once he'd had enough he wouldn't taste it anymore and maybe he could just go to sleep early. He hoped he could talk him into leaving early the next day but Baro seemed to be enjoying himself. Laughing at whatever stupid program was on the TV, he seemed to be having the time of his life. He mostly ignored Jimin but he knew that he liked having someone there with him. He may not have been his first choice.

Having the thought that he'd rather be anywhere but there, Jimin got up and started pacing the room. He was having a hard time sitting still. The boredom was starting to become too much. He knew his cousin would start to notice his discomfort but he didn't care too much. He wanted to get back to the comfort of his home. Maybe even go to the dance studio and see if Hoseok wanted to join him.

"I think I'm going to go get some fresh air," Jimin said out of politeness. It was still raining but he needed to get out of the suffocating house.

Stepping outside, Jimin let out a breath. At least he could be alone out here. He let his thoughts drift. He had been lonely this past year. He had his friends and family but it was starting to not be enough for him. It had been a little over a year since he broke things off with his last girlfriend. She was also a dancer. They had met when his dance studio had a practice with hers to perform a routine and they just happened to be paired up. She was sweet and determined but after a while, he started noticing the little jabs she had taken at him. Asking him questions concerning his diet, telling him he was going to get fat. That he already had chubby cheeks. He needed to be careful. Maybe it was out of concern but it started becoming a problem when he started actually listening. He started starving himself and could no longer keep up. It was the day that he passed out in the middle of a routine that he decided he had enough. He broke up with her gently but told her he thought it best that they lost all contact with each other. The way she screamed at him was so uncharacteristic of her that he thought he was talking to a completely different person. Luckily their interactions at the dance studio were over so he wouldn't run into her.