[ 8 ] : "IT'S MY LIFE"

The space in my office was smaller than I realized. Or maybe it was the fact that two large men were attempting to fit comfortably in the small room that made it appear that way.

"I started to log everything that passes through the mailroom once I was promoted to manager."

"Seems tedious."

I glanced in Mr. Monet's direction. The man was surveying my office with an expression of boredom.

"Maybe, but it's better to keep a record of things so one can be prepared for any circumstances."

He met my gaze and sneered. I couldn't help the small grin that played at the corners of my mouth. It wasn't usually my habit to poke or pick at people, but there was something about this man that brought out the worst in me.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Only that being prepared could never be a bad thing. Even if it's a bit tedious."

Alex coughed, but I caught the edge of a smirk before he covered his mouth. My cheeks rushed with warmth when he met my gaze and I turned my attention back to my computer screen. Honestly, when I decided to have people start logging things, I never thought it would pay off for me like this. I'd only considered it might save me from mildly annoying and inconvenient situations.

"The day you shipped the final proofs?"

Silence fell over the room. I glanced at Mr. Monet over the computer monitor. His face was an unpleasant shade of pink, bordering on red. I didn't understand why he wanted to drag this out instead of admitting his fault. But if he wanted to embarrass himself thoroughly than I was more than willing to lend a hand.

"Mr. Monet?"

"The last day that they could have been shipped was last friday," Alex answered.

"...okay."

The sound of my clicking and typing filled up the tense silence in the room. Not that I was bothered, it wasn't like I was the one in trouble.

"The only thing that came from your office that day-" I reached up and turned my monitor around, highlighting the row in bright yellow. "Was a subscription cancellation to fishing & hunting magazine."

Mr. Monet ducked his head and cleared his throat.

"Of course, we can double check all your outgoing mail for that week."

"Please do, Kate."

Alex's voice took on a hard edge, that made me flinch. My gaze slid in his direction and I found him glaring down his nose at Mr. Monet. He must have sensed my attention, because he quickly dropped his hard stare and offered me his usual bright smile.

It was strange to see Alex in this light. He was always smiling, always pleasant, always warm. But a moment ago-no before that, he had shown that there was a reason he was the department head. He was intimidating in a new way. Though not nearly as intimidating as Julian.

The image of the director sitting behind his desk flashed through my mind; long, tapered fingers pressed to his lips with his dark eyes focused on me. I shook my head, trying to ignore the heat creeping up the back of my neck. That was the last thing I should be thinking about right now.

"I don't see anything here about the final proofs."

"I was positive that I sent them off. Can't you check the entire month?" Mr. Monet urged, gaze shifting to Alex then back to me.

"Of course."

I forced a compliant smile on my face. Why don't you just admit you're at fault, instead of dragging this out?