one

leyra was tired, so unbelievably tired.

she'd been out with her father all day, they'd swam through the ocean together for their 'father-daughter' days as he called them.

it only happened if he had news to share, mainly bad.

leyra made her way back to her bedroom passing tsireya, her best friend who had a concerned look on her eyes as she saw the girl miserably go inside.

it was her mother's death anniversary, the mother who she dearly missed.

her father only let her go to the cove of ancestors once a year.

"are you ready?" zaëm called, leyra's older brother; him along with anoung were two na'vi's she didn't want to see today.

leyra didn't respond; instead holding onto the necklace her mother once wore; she was constantly reminded of that night.

the pain it brought.

"leyra!" her father shouted, aoung and zaem waiting for her outside.

"coming." she stated bluntly, walking slowly outside, they all had concerned looks to them; her older brothers giving her a comforting hold to her back.

leyra didn't want this, she wanted to constantly visit her. but none the less she powered through it. she constantly wondered why her father didn't let her visit the cove of ancestors more, she felt her mother every waking moment since her death. every time she felt pain, she was taken back to that night, her mother was always with her and around her.

eywa gifted her that.

"why do we only do this once a year father?" the girl blurted out,

the chief turning around with anger on his face.

"i decide when we get to see your mother leyra. don't ask questions only eywa can answer."

"eywa? eywa guides me to mother, i see her all the time father." she stopped in her tracks causing them all to turn to her.

"don't say silly things ley." zaem sighed.

"eywa is not silly zaem. she's mighty, she and mother are within me; i feel them, father i feel them." for the first time leyra looked her father in the eyes; for the first time since that night.

"leyra! enough of this nonsense; i don't care about your delusions, are we going to see your mother or-"

suddenly clamouring was heard from behind us, metkayina people gathered around one spot of our island, confused looks and angry faces at the same time being made.

leyra shot her father an angry look before rushing over to see what her people's troubles were.

then she saw them.

she knew exactly who they were; she didn't know how but she did.

leyra's father came behind her to face the forest family that had turned up.

"i'm here seeking refuge for my family." spoke the tallest and most notable man.

"jake sully." leyra looked the man in the eye, smiling.

jake was taken aback by this, was the news of their coming spread about? why did she know him?

"neytiri, kiri, tuk, lo'ak." she smiled even brighter among realisation; all the memories came flooding back.

"neteyam." she paused, staring at the boy; she felt compelled to him, compelled to protect him, compelled to protect them all.

"daughter! how do you know these people?" her father shook her.