Exchanged Letters

[Flashback]

As much as Sunoo wanted to be distracted, he found himself going back to the book where he found the small sticky note, hoping to at least see if someone actually came back for it.

And finally, a new note was written.

'Thank you :) -wonwon'

Sunoo let out an excited noise. Finally, after a few days, that student knew someone wanted to be his friend.

Now, it is time for him to find this wonwon.

'Do you want to meet? I can accompany you'

Sunoo quietly pens and closes the Math book. He sighs with a smile on his face, hoping he gets a response soon.

While walking out, Sunoo suddenly bumps into someone.

"Ow-"

"Oh, hyung?" 

It was Jungwon. The kid Sunoo encountered days ago who was in an awful circumstance.

"Jungwon!" Sunoo finds himself smiling, finally seeing the kid with very round eyes, safe. The boy had a smile on his face, too, and eyes too shocked as if he saw a ghost.

Sunoo turns back from the exit of the library to have a talk with his friend. Glancing at Jungwon occasionally, Sunoo notices how he did not have friends as soon as he entered and recalls how his eyes went from a gloomy look to a happy one, as soon as he saw him.

"You're alone?" The older asks, sitting on an empty table just right for two. The younger hums and fixes his hair.

"It's not so bad to be alone, right?" Jungwon says, finally making eye contact with Sunoo. "Sometimes, being alone is nice." His voice slowly faded.

"Right. Tell me, did the bullies bother you again?" Sunoo tried to figure out where the boy's words were suddenly rooting from.

Jungwon quickly shakes his head.

"You probably scared them away, hyung." Jungwon flashes another bright smile.

"I'm just glad you're doing okay. Don't let others do you like that. If you know you're right, stand by that, hm?" Sunoo adds, looking at the younger softly.

"Why are you so kind?" Jungwon suddenly asks out of nowhere, breaking the short silence between them.

"W-What?" Sunoo laughed.

"You're too kind, hyung!" Jungwon restates.

"You think so?" Sunoo smiles shyly to himself as he touched his cheek to prevent from smiling too widely.

"Well, I am just being me, I guess." He finally answers. "Also, as someone with a position, I need to set a good example to students and make sure everyone is treated equally." He smiles brightly.

"Thank you for wanting to be my friend, hyung." Jungwon looks at him as if he is the only person in the room. For some reason, looking at Sunoo gave him peace and strength to keep going every day.

"Of course."

Silence suddenly wraps around them, just the quiet chatters of students and the sound of book pages flipping can be heard.

"Are you sure those bullies don't bother you anymore?" Sunoo breaks the silence as he still sees worry in the younger's eyes.

"Not anymore." Jungwon forced a smile, as Sunoo returned a genuine and soft one.

He lied. The bullies did not stop just like that. But, he can't just tell that to his friend. Jungwon did not want to stress him out further.

Jungwon's pretend smiles vanished as soon as their conversation ended. Then again, he was alone. But, this time, his day became a bit better because he was able to talk with the person he was considering as a hero.