Moving Out

Beige walls that were once filled with posters of his favorite band, the little window he peeks out to whenever he's lonely, his now empty closet, and the slightly dirty mirror he always looks at before leaving. It's all going to be the last time. The last look before Sunoo finally leaves home for college. Sunoo can do nothing but sigh at the thought of leaving everything behind, and that includes his ever-supportive parents.

"What's up?" Sunoo answers his phone which started ringing seconds ago. It was his group of friends.

"Aren't you leaving today, Sun?" Jay, his friend since high school asks, shocked that he joined the group call he initiated.

"Yup. Still packing. Well, just finished." He answers, his voice without any energy like it used to.

"I think you're worrying too much." Sunghoon butts in. "Want to have ice cream together before you go?" He offers. Certainly, he is a friend everyone needs in their life. However, Sunoo just laughs at the offer.

"But we just had ice cream yesterday!"

"That was yesterday! Today's a different day." Sunghoon still insists.

"Nah, can't. Dad's waiting for me already. Maybe when I visit again?" The dark brown-haired man says.

"You mean after a year?" Jay sighs.

"I'll keep in touch, okay?"

"Just eat properly when you get to your dorm. We don't want to see you all skinny when you get back." Jay reminds him. Although the two always remind Sunoo about himself, he still tends to forget due to his academics. He's indeed very thankful for the two.

I can't live without them. Sunoo would always think, but this time, he has to do it. It's for himself anyway. He needs to become independent, too.

"Yeah, yeah. You don't have to worry too much, okay?" Sunoo may sound tired of hearing their reminders, but inside, he is thankful that someone, aside from his parents, cares for him the way he feels the most loved.

"Sunoo!!" His mom calls from downstairs.

"Oops, you heard her." Sunoo smiles even if the others won't see him. "I gotta go, guys."

"Send us a pic, Sun!"

"Don't miss me too much, okay? For sure someone's going to take care of me there, or else my father won't agree to this." Sunoo assures them and himself. Everything's going to be alright. When he gets there, he can meet his father's best friend's son his parents have been talking about all night. 

Sunoo finally ends the call then instantly extends his arms and his phone, capturing a photo with his baggage, then sends it in their group chat.

"I'll text you guys when I get there. Love you!" He sends along the selfie he took.

He has heard all the good things about this Yang...Jung...han? chan? 

"When we live together, will I discover his bad sides, too? " Sunoo thinks and smirks to himself before standing up, unbothered of the fact that we could not recall the boy's name.

Sunoo lifted his baggage filled with clothes and some of his favorite Toy Story figurines. Heading out, he spots his mom leaning by the counter, seemingly waiting for him to go downstairs.

"My baby's really leaving, hm?" She frowns, looking at her son softly.

"I don't really want to, either." Sunoo whispers, but loud enough for his mom to hear.

She sighs. "Don't worry too much, hm? I know you are already independent enough to handle yourself." She smiles, ruffling her son's dark brown hair.

"You ready, son?" His father slides in, already before the exit door.