Chapter One

In which the second stage begins.

"Do you promise me?"

Chishiya turns back to study the blimps, head tilted upwards, gazing up at the sky like how he used to search the neon lights of Tokyo. He is quiet for a while, idly watching the blimps whirr. You turn away too, your pinky still in his as you wait for him to answer. There is no moonlight now, no rooftop, only Chishiya and the invisible stars.

And that alone means more than anything to you.

Chishiya's hand eventually closes completely over yours, still facing the blimps, warm like the sunlight that casts over his features. You allow yourself to smile. You already know his answer.

"Yes," he says. "I do."

And it's all you've ever wanted to hear.

For once Chishiya's words are soft, cautious, brushing against your ears like gentle moonlight on the skin despite the blazing sun. "I'll be holding you to that," you murmur, hoping to capture his words before they are carried away by the breeze, and Chishiya simply nods as he watches the blimps.

Silence drifts across the crossing, the cascade of leaves over gravel the only sound that can be heard for several moments. Heavy tension is stretched like elastic over the five of you, ready to snap as you watch the sky and the blinding light of the NEXT STAGE sign. Other people have slowly begun to arrive, climbing just as soundlessly from cars and emerging from buildings.

They, like you, are waiting.

When will it start? The air is electric in its stillness, crackling between the spaces of every person in the vicinity holding one, collective breath. The comforting weight of Chishiya's hand over yours is the only thing distracting you from the way your pulse begins to quicken. It's so quiet; with the muted rustle of leaves somewhere in the distance the world seems almost peaceful, but you know better than that.

Chishiya's voice cuts through the hush. "Maybe they forgot to press the start button," he frowns. 

And while it's fair to say that Chishiya usually gets the last laugh, this time the universe beats him to the punch.

An explosion shakes the ground the second the words leave his lips.

You stumble but Chishiya's arm jerks you back up reflexively, your hands still connected. He shoots a look back at you but he releases his grip when Kuina whirls, her face painted with abject horror as people begin to fall all around you. Screams rip from all sides and it suddenly hits you that they're dying - red bursts from their chests as they crumple to the ground while sound continues to erupt from somewhere unseen.

Gunshots, you realise as Kuina grabs your arm, we're being shot at.

The second stage has already started.

"Run!" Kuina yells at you over the ringing in your ears. Usagi and Arisu have already taken off, the three of you the only ones left at the crossing. You don't need to be told twice - you break into a run to keep up with the dreadlocked woman, hoping that Chishiya is just behind you.

You only realise he isn't when Kuina spins again, shouting over your shoulder. "Chishiya, run!"

What? You throw a look over your shoulder as people stampede around you, the same horror you'd seen on Kuina's face twisted across all their expressions. At first you can't see him, can't see Chishiya - you turn your head frantically until you catch a glimpse of blonde amidst the crush, your heart slamming against your ribcage. Your stomach plummets.