Chapter Three

In which you find you are eavesdropping again, but rather unintentionally this time.

You truly believe, from the bottom of your heart, that Arisu means well.

It's just really unfortunate that he's such an awkward guy.

"Ah, hey, uh..." Arisu dances around the topic with an antelope-like grace you'd never seen in him before. It's amazing that he's only able to achieve elegance at a time like this.

Trying not to wince, you put on the most encouraging expression you can. It's clear the man can tell the reason you came out here with him and Usagi; he didn't solve the Ten of Hearts game for nothing. And you appreciate it, you really do - words of comfort are few and far between these days - but even though his intentions are kind, his execution of them is dismal. His big doe eyes look pained as he gives you a clumsy pat on the shoulder and suggests something about Chishiya being "a-ok." You find it odd that while he's the one meant to be pitying you, it's ended up the other way around.

"Thank you," you venture, smiling, hoping the genuine tone of your voice would be enough to allow him to retreat back into his forest.

Arisu gladly takes the hint, spiriting himself away at the speed of light to where Usagi walks ahead of you.

You're starting to have second thoughts (actually, scratch that. You're already having second thoughts) about coming with them. Usagi is clearly still wary of you; she makes no effort to speak to you, simply walking ahead. Apparently your closeness to Chishiya meant that by association, you had also betrayed Arisu. You wonder whether she extends this sentiment to Kuina as well. And even though Arisu is as kind as ever - despite his abysmal attempts to comfort you - it's clear your presence means the two can't discuss things as freely as they would've liked.

You release a quiet sigh. The sounds of Arisu and Usagi murmuring up ahead ease the silence of the night, a faint laugh now drifting from one of them. At least two out of the three of you are having fun. You think it might be the first time you've heard Usagi laugh all day.

Unconsciously your gaze drifts upwards, towards the canvas of the universe that usually brought you the most solace. The stars dance overhead in the open sky, and you are briefly brought back to the rooftop at the Beach where you'd met Chishiya. Comforted by the thought, a small smile touches your lips.

Out of habit your eyes search for the moon, but it's hidden away behind clouds.

When the three of you come to a row of outlets by the Shibuya crossing, you offer to take a look in the pharmacy across from the snack shop to scavenge medical supplies. Hopefully giving them some space would make things a little less weird.

"Are you sure?" Arisu asks with a frown. Usagi peers around him at you. "It's dangerous to split up..."

"I'll be fine." You promise, giving him a reassuring smile. "Oh, and if there's anything matcha in there, let me know."

"Sure."

It doesn't take long to gather all you think could be useful: a limp roll of gauze, a few bottles of disinfectant, cotton bandages. A small pack of bandaids decorated with cartoon characters. The pharmacy itself is dark and full of dust, the glass doors smudged and fractured in some places. The flashlight Arisu had given you reveals that the shelves have been mostly cleared out already, presumably by other players. Medical supplies were high in demand even at the Beach, since the games you were all forced to play usually ended up in many a scraped knee or damaged limb.

But when you finally step out of the pharmacy, arms laden with supplies, a gale of frost slams into you so quickly it startles you. The cold wind is suddenly so much more bitter against your skin than you'd remembered, ruffling your hair and causing you to shiver slightly. Hugging your arms to your body, you try to keep what little warmth you have from being stolen by the wind; the night must have progressed further than you'd realised. You had grown unsure of the passing of seasons while in the Borderlands, but whatever season it had been before is certainly easing into a new one. The lazy sun that lasted during your days at the Beach are slowly fading, being replaced with harsh winds and a slight chill weaving through the air.