𝐀𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐬 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞

"You should've been more careful!" An angry voice scolded, making Maiko smile sheepishly. The butterfly's voice was heard throughout the estate as she checked on Maiko for any more injuries. "You're lucky Tengen-sama was with you. Hence, you were quickly transferred to a Wisteria House nearby."

     "Now, now, Shinobu, keep it easy on Mako," the ever so delicate and cheerful voice of Kocho Kanae spoke as she entered the room. Behind her was their adopted sister, Tsuyuri Kanao, looking confused and indifferent whatsoever, making Maiko smile.

     Kanae must have just finished training the young Tsuyuri. She couldn't feel but be proud of Kanao's progress lately—somehow, she couldn't help but see her young brother in her. If only he was still alive and she herself could teach him—

     "Tch, whatever," the younger Kocho rolled her eyes and gathered her things. Maiko pulled her mind out of the clouds and stood up from the bed she sat on. "I'll head on and check on the other slayers with you in that forest," Shinobu added.

     "How is the boy with a wounded leg?"

     "A wounded leg?" Shinobu inquired with an inquisitive tone, then let out a small chuckle before she said, " You've got to narrow it more than that, Mako. A number of them got here with wounds... everywhere."

     Shinobu left the area with a fun smile, quite pleased that her friend is alright. Meanwhile, the three other females soon follow.

     "Well—" Kanae clasped her hands, her signature smile spread across her face. "—I need to attend to some things before the meeting later. See you there, Mako," she bid farewell before telling Kanao to come along with her, parting with Maiko.

     "I hope there is no change of Hashira due to death," the Soul Pillar spoke quietly, before strolling endlessly through the hallways of the Butterfly estate.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

     Fujiwara Maiko adored the Kocho sisters' mansion. It felt more lively and colorful, in comparison to the dull and dry atmosphere that surrounded her own estate. Perhaps it's because more people were in and out of the Butterfly estate for check-ups and rehabilitation. Meanwhile, the Soul estate only had mourning guests visiting to get a letter from a recently deceased friend, family, or lover.

     Maiko only found herself sighing at the miserable perception.

     Once again dragging her train of thought on why she cherished the Butterfly estate, another reason must be its owners. The friendliness of its inhabitants—Kanae, Shinobu, and Kanae is what made it have life.

     And possibly... another reason is that a small part of her past was inside one of its rooms, inhabiting the estate as well.

     Ironically, as if it was her body that wanted to tell her something, her feet unconsciously found themselves walking to that room. However, her hand only shook as it rested lightly at the door.

     "GET OFF OF ME, STUPID BIRD! WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING!"

     "HEY, IT'S YOUR FAULT FOR BUMPING YOUR BIG FAT ARM INTO MY WING!"

     Maiko could only cringe at the loud noise that overtook the estate, giggling slightly at the source of the sound for she knew who it came from. Looking towards the direction of the quarrel, a smile found its way on her lips as she saw her Kasugai crow flapping his wings angrily towards her.

     "That fucking white-haired, scarred-faced bastard..." the bird muttered, amusing Maiko.

     "Now, who were you quarrelling with this time, Riki?" she inquired, smirking as she eyed the unnamed man with his distinct snowy hair. Scars decorated his face, and a growl formulating on his lips as he argued with a butterfly girl tending to him.

     Body with mountains of muscle, and unbuttoned blouse to boast the abdominal muscle he has acquired from their profession. Maiko idly took note of the man's features. Though, she also noted that it did not really surpass the Uzui standard.

     "I have no idea, but man is he a bitch," Riki commented, amusing the woman even more.

Anger is everywhere.

     From Shinobu to her crow—and that attractive man that seemed around her and Kanae's age.

     "Give him a beating for me, would ya? Oh, and by the way, Oyakata-sama has a favor for you."