chapter three: luceat lux vestra

Atraea contemplated the angel before her; she'd never interacted with any of the musicians of the starlit city. They lived in a different area than the warriors and she'd never wondered about them. Her world had revolved around serving God with her spear and sword, not with a harp and a voice.

Simon stared back at her with a smile. "You're one of the younger ones."

"Is it that obvious?" She asked. 

"To an angel," Simon shrugged. "No human would see a difference between you and me. So, the bar's yours?"

"Bought it this morning. I thought I could run it until I figure out what my task is. It'll pay and it'll give me something to do while I wait."

"Smart idea. You decorated well, too. And you're good on the bar," he added, taking another sip of his drink. "What's in this one?"

Atraea grabbed a bottle from behind her and slid it towards him. "Whiskey. I added some passionfruit and raspberry juice. Doesn't sound like it should be good but it is. I was playing around."

"Make it a menu special," he suggested. "Angel Wings." That drew a laugh from her and he smiled victoriously. New angels were skittish for the first few weeks on earth. It was so different from what they were accustomed to and if they weren't careful, they became recluses, too scared of going out into the dangerous streets and cities. They languished until they finally gave up on their tasks or plans and returned to the starlit lands above. Atraea seemed to have set herself up for success; the bar would keep her meeting new people and provide an income so that she wasn't starving or cheating while on earth, but it never hurt to have another angel around to show her the ropes.

Simon didn't have anywhere else he needed to be. He took another slow drink from his glass, watching as she put the bottle back and fiddled with some shot glasses in a corner, that caught the orange light from the sun and refracted onto the counter of the bar. His decision was made. That morning of busking had proven that the city could afford to support a street musician for a few weeks, maybe even a few months, if he kept playing in the same place. The owner of the motel would be thrilled that he'd extend his time in the city, and Simon would just find a way to avoid breakfast every morning. He could stay a little longer and help Atraea find her task.

"Did you want help?" He asked. "Finding your task, I mean. I'm in town for a while-" he didn't mention that the only reason he would stay in town was to help- "and besides busking in the mornings, I'm free. I could even help with the bar."

"You don't-"

"Angels have to help each other," Simon pointed out. "We're honor bound to aid each other. I don't mind, honestly. Don't even have to pay me for the bar work. I make enough with my guitar."

She hesitated but Simon was right. Angels helped each other and Atraea wanted to discover her task and complete it as soon as possible so she could return to the starlit cities and become one of the warriors of the guarde. If he helped, she'd achieve it sooner. 

"Alright," she said. "Thank you, Simon."

"My pleasure. Any chance I can get another one of these before people start coming in and it gets busy."

"It's not going to get busy," Atraea huffed. "Not on the first day of being open."

Simon smiled around the rim of his glass. "You've got a good spot here. People will see it on their way back home from work. You'll be busy enough-"

Just as he finished speaking, the door rang and a young woman walked in, backpack slung across one of her shoulders and a binder in her other hand. "Are you open?" She asked.