-04: In Your Lane

-Aubree-

I woke up Sunday morning in a rare good mood. It was my first off day in God knows when and there was no better feeling than having absolutely nothing to do. And to make my morning even better, I smelled pancakes cooking in the kitchen.

I threw the covers off of my body and headed into the bathroom. I immediately went to relieve myself before brushing my teeth and then scrubbing my face with my morning cleanser.

"Goodmorning, Auntie Bree." Heaven's face was the first I saw this morning, beaming brightly while trying to stuff her face with pancakes simultaneously. I chuckled and kissed her cheek. "Mornin' fatty. How was your night with Grandma Joyce?"

"She let me stay up all night and watch movies."

"Whaaaa?" I bucked my eyes, feigning surprise. "You must be a big girl, then."

"Duh!" she giggled loudly.

"Morning, Bree."

I turned to a shirtless Chris standing behind the counter guzzling down a glass of orange juice. I raised an eyebrow. "Goodmorning...You spent the night?"

He nodded, "Yeah but I crashed on the couch with lil' mama."

"Mhmm." I eyed him before turning to the stove, ready to pile a plate with hot breakfast. Rina had cooked maple pancakes, eggs, potatoes, cheese grits, and turkey bacon and I was about to throw down.

"Where's Rina?" I asked Chris, taking a seat at the table ready stuff my face.

"She left for work 'bout ten minutes ago." He replied, glancing at his watch. "And I gotta head out in a little. You mind keeping an eye on Heaven for a couple of hours?"

"How long is a couple of hours, Chris?"

He shrugged. "I'on know. However long it takes me to get shit done."

"Well then say that-"

Chris kissed his teeth and switched his weight from one leg to the other. "You gone keep her or what?"

"I guess..." I sighed. "Even though this is my first day off in forever and-"

"I'll make it up to you, Bree. Might even have my nigga Aug take you out or somethin'."

I rolled my eyes and drenched my whole plate in syrup. "August and I have been out plenty of times."

"Oh yeah? Was'up with y'all anyway?" he asked, his lips folding into a smirk as he leaned on the counter and folded his arms across his chest.

"Nothing..."

"Rina, told me y'all was mighty comfy last night. Jokin' and shit, so was'up? You tryna get at my guy or what?"

I looked at him in disbelief. "So because I can joke and be comfortable around someone I used to be really good friends with, I'm tryna get at him?"

He shrugged. "I'm just goin' by what ya' sister told me, aight? Don't kill the messenger."

"Well don't, because half the time Rina sees what she wants." I mumbled before forking a good amount of eggs into my mouth.

"Babymom's is always right ."

"Well you remember that for your own sake because if anyone looked comfortable it was you and Rina and to be quite honest, I'm not buying this..." I gestured a twirling finger towards him. "whatever it is y'all tryna convince the rest of us."

He shook his head and grabbed his keys from the counter top, obviously ready to bail on the conversation. "That's where you crossin' boundaries, Bree. Stay in ya' lane."