1

Another day, another appliance to be worked on. 

Simka sighed to herself and got to work. Though fixing machines or anything that could run gears in it was practically her life, this particular appliance was complicated to figure out what the real problem was with it. She fixed up a few loose screws here and there but could never find the real issue.

"Well, maybe it's this one." She then tried to look for the screw driver she summoned from her pack-a-mat. But she couldn't find it.

Oh right, Verda has it.

"Verda, could you hand me the screw driver we were sharing? I'm sorry, I know you left your pack-a-mat at home but I found another loose screw!"

...

"Verda?"

A faint humming in the background spelled it all out. Verda wasn't listening and never was. 

"Finally! I got my hair to look exactly how I wanted to look today! Ow!"

Simka and Verda crashed into each other due to Simka constantly searching for her on her fixie board, running into Verda. 

"So that's where you were!"

"Simka, you ruined my hair! You ruined it today after I got it all perfect! It was just fine before you came crashing in!"

Here we go again.

"Oh, well SORRY! I'll have you know that  you ruined this ENTIRE project with me! Thanks to you not even caring. You do absolutely nothing and always have. I gave you a chance, and was stuck with working with you because the others are caught up in their own work. Though you don't even care about being a fixie. I'm never working with you again." 

"Good for you, Simka. And I could care less if you don't work with me. Any other fixie in our class would love to help me. If I paired up with anyone right away, they would easily say yes." 

"Lying to yourself won't fix anything!" Simka shouted and flew out of the appliance. Outside of it, she saw everyone working on their own machines. 

"Hey Simka, are you all done with your... oh." Toola stopped speaking as Simka angrily zoomed past her. 

"She seems angry." Digit added.

"Ohh no! What if her and Verda were at it again!" Toola worryingly chewed at her nails. 

"They've been at it for days. I'm analyzing that it's because they're so different, so they're constantly finding certain things they don't like about each other. It's the way it's always been."

"I wonder if there was something I can do."

"You help a lot Toola, but really. They need to grow up and figure it out themselves. We have work that needs to be done." Digit pushed his glasses up and rolled his eyes. About everyone was tired of it. 

"They've never fought this bad before though.." 

"Who? Simka and Verda?" A childish chuckle rang out from across the room. It was the careless red-head, Fire. He found every Simka-Verda quarrel absolutely amusing. Nolik worryingly tagged along behind him.

"Simka left the laboratory." Toola sighed. 

"She might be at Tom Thomas's. I'm going with her then." Nolik zoomed off on his fixiboard. 

"She's the most important one on our team! Think about it, she knows practically everything about machines. Our team just isn't a team without our best friend Simka. Nolik take me with you!" Toola zoomed off as well. 

"Though she does have a point, but what are we going to do with all these appliances.." Digit facepalmed.

"Let's just handle it ourselves." Though that wasn't what Fire actually wanted to say. He wanted to be by Simka's side. But if nobody  fixed what was broken in the lab (due to professor Eugenius's clumsiness). He would be scolded by Grampus. And since Fire has already done numerous terrible mistakes in the past. He had to prove himself. It was getting to the point where these would look terrible on his fixie reputation at his school. 

──────────────────────────────────

"And that's why I'm not working with Verda anymore." Simka scowled and crossed her arms.

"You've told me about how she's acted in the past, but I didn't know she was this bad." The human boy, Tom Thomas had crossed his arms and started to think.

"Oh, she's pretty terrible. I don't even know why I have to see her everyday if she just doesn't help us!"

"Well there's got to be some type of reason. Maybe she does try and you just.. y'know, don't see it!"

"Not true. She couldn't care less not even if her life depended on it."

"Well.. then she's going to have to learn the hard way from your grandfather, he'd easily fail her if that were the case." Tom Thomas handed her a mini-sized marshmallow. Simka started to calm down when she realized that there was someone willing to listen to her. And he didn't even have to be a fixie to understand. Though, Tom Thomas believed there was more to the situation that maybe Simka didn't know about. Yes, Verda was egocentric and would care about her looks more than anything else, but what if she was trying? 

"Hey Simka, we're here. Are you alright?"

"Toola, sorry about strolling past you. I wasn't thinking straight."  

"Don't apologize, we'd just like to know what's going on if you'd want to tell us."

Simka slowly looked up at Tom Thomas, and he suddenly nodded.

"Simka and Verda don't get along. Verda often cares more about her looks, and beauty products. Well, according to Simka that is. But it interferes with work, Simka bumps into Verda while searching for her in a machine they were working on which causes Verda to lash out about how she ruined her hair while Simka tells her off. Apparently they fight like this all the time, but Simka seems to have reached her breaking point."

"So that's the issue." 

"Simka, was Verda actually working on the appliance though? You're not in the laboratory  so you don't know!" Nolik tugged her arm.

"Doubt it. Until she proves to me that she cares then I'm not taking her seriously. In fact, I don't even want to look at her."

"But Simka.." Toola added on.

"Just face it Toola, she puts others down saying we're 'jealous' of her when she just stands there and does her makeup, takes selfies, or texts her other 'BFFS'. She doesn't care about us. And I'm tired of her." 

With a hug from Toola, Simka irritatedly stared at the ground.

"I'm sorry Simka. I'll talk to you about this after school. I just wanted to see how you were doing."

"Thanks Toola, this is why you're my best friend."

Toola had a sweet smile, and always cared. She was there for Simka through so many times, it was hard to count. But this time she just had to get to work.

"Professor Eugenius doesn't get back until.. Almost an hour! Ohhh Nooo! We have to go right away Nolik! It's just horrible!" She cried. 

"You coming Simka?" Her younger brother looked behind himself.

"I.. don't know. I don't know this time." She hasn't ever once skipped out on a job but she didn't feel like doing anything. She crossed her arms and turned away.

"Well now you're just doing nothing, like you said Verda was." Tom Thomas joked.

"Oh shut it Tom Thomas. I was doing way more than she ever was."