Hogwarts AU #7: Lovestruck

For what was probably the first time in her life, Hester didn't know what to do.

As she and all the other first years headed back to the castle, her mind swam with thoughts. From true love to Anadil to Travis Potter to Anadil to prophecies to Anadil to Anadil... it was obvious that only one thing was truly on her mind. The one thing she couldn't talk to anyone about.

And so Hester had no choice.

When Hester and Anadil were in their dorm room late that night - it was only about ten PM, but Hester felt more exhausted than she'd ever felt in her whole life - Hester cleared her throat and said, "Anadil, I have a problem."

Anadil looked up from her textbook immediately. Term hadn't even officially started and already, Anadil was avidly reading each textbook like her life depended on it. Hester was surprised she wasn't a Ravenclaw.

"What's the matter?" she asked Hester, concern furrowing her brow.

Hester sighed. "I... I like someone."

Anadil's eyebrows shot up. "Honestly? That's the last thing I expected to come out of your mouth."

Hester blushed and looked down. "It's consuming my every thought, so... trust me, it's the last thing I expected to come out of my mouth."

"Consuming your every thought?" Anadil repeated. "Wow. It must really be strong, then."

Was Hester misreading this, or... was that jealousy straining Anadil's tone?

That's ridiculous, Hester told herself. Why would Anadil be jealous... unless.... Hester didn't dare think about this any more, but... was it possible?

Could Anadil like her, too?

Hester dismissed the thought. Since when have I been the lovestruck type? she scolded herself. As if silently agreeing, her demon unfurled his wings and swooped off of her shoulder, landing on one of the posts of her four-poster bed, disgusted. Hester glared into his beady eyes. The feeling is mutual, she silently told him.

"In fact," Anadil continued, "I wonder if the person in question is your true love."

Hester stopped. Literally. Her brain seemed to stop functioning, and her mouth dropped open and didn't seem to want to close.

Is that possible? Hester wondered. Could Anadil be my... - Hester mentally gagged - ...true love?

"So, who is it?" Anadil finally asked in the same light, casual tone she'd adopted, but that didn't fool Hester.

She could sense the longing in Anadil's voice.

Hester's crush mattered that much to Anadil.

Hester, for the first time that day, smiled.

"That doesn't matter," she said, addressing Anadil. "What do I do? It - she - is all I can think about, and it's driving me insane."

Anadil gave her a look. "Is it me, Hester?"

Hester was...

Completely and utterly silent.

Anadil's bright red eyes seemed to bore into Hester's soul. "Please tell me, Hester."

Hester opened her mouth.