⊱Chapter One⊰

───────────────⊱⁜⊰───────────────

September 21, 1981                                                                                                                                 

Thursday

     P.O.V. FINN HARRIS
     A raucous alarm sounded, signaling the start of a new day. The clumsy hand of Finn Harris reached for the alarm clock, desperately clicking buttons until the noise stopped.
Pulling his head out from under his mishappen pillow, Finn glanced irritably at his nightstand to observe the time.
The clock read: 7:00 AM

     With a devastated "Shit!", he flipped his blanket off from himself, jumping out of the bed. He was quite frantic, realizing that he was far behind schedule. Finn pulled some old, lint-infested socks onto his feet and quickly put on a pair of tennis shoes (not bothering to tie the laces on them). Now that he was sort of dressed, he gave the clock another glance.
"Shit... Shit!"

Bursting out of his room, Finn nearly ran directly into his mother, who was holding a laundry basket full of dirty towels on her hip.
"Oh, Finn!" Marie exclaimed, looking him up and down with an exasperated expression. She grimaced at his clothes, which he had very obviously slept in, but to Finn's relief, she didn't mention them. "Have you just now woken up? I've been calling you for the past fifteen minutes!"

Finn stepped aside so that his mother could pass, apologizing as she walked on towards the laundry room. Frantically he made his way down the stairs and to the kitchen, where he found a plate of scrambled eggs and three breakfast sausage links. Choking down as much food as he could, Finn checked the clock on the stove. Seeing that it was already 7:09, he abandoned his plate in haste.

"Are you almost ready? You need to be gone in five minutes." Marie spoke from the laundry room upstairs, talking loudly above the noise of the washing machine.

"Yes, mom!" Finn called back as he climbed the stairs and made his way to the bathroom, annoyed to find it was closed. He pounded on the door, running out of both time and patience.

"What?" Shouted his father, John, from the inside of the bathroom. Finn rolled his eyes with a big sigh, knowing that he'd never make it in time if he waited for his father to be done.

"Never mind, Dad." He turned from the door, hesitating only as he passed an open door between the bathroom and his bedroom. Inside there was a clear view of his brother's old things. Plenty of military nicknacks and such items. A wave of sadness hit Finn as he paused before he remembered what he was doing. He popped back into his room, pulling his pre-prepared backpack off his floor and hauling it onto his back.

"Bye mom, bye dad!" Finn called, running down the stairs. He was sure he'd heard the returned goodbyes of his mother before stepping out the front door and shutting it behind him. He made his way to a steely blue bike parked on the side of the house and climbed aboard. Finn quickly kicked the stand up and began biking off down the driveway and onto the road.

                    ────────⊱⁜⊰────────

     P.O.V. ROY MEYERS
Meanwhile, at the school, Finn's best friend, Roy Meyers, stood behind the teacher's desk in an empty classroom. Roy wasn't alone. With him standing watch at the door was Kyle Foster— little brother to Evan Foster, who was Roy and Finn's friend.
     Roy appeared to be placing something in the teacher's desk drawer, shifting it slightly one way or the other. Once he thought it was perfect, he stepped back to admire his work.
     "That'll do..." he whispered, walking around the desk and to his friend. "She'll never know what hit her!"