Chapter Fifteen

hey hey you you I don’t like your girlfriend!” Girlfriend- Avril Lavinge

It was opening night and I was nervous as hell. “boo.” Someone whispers behind me and I jump.

Ryan was laughing at my reaction when I turned around, “I hate you.” I say, crossing my arms and pouting.

“aw, you know that’s not true.”

“psh, you wish. What are you doing here anyways? You’re supposed to be on the other side of the stage.” I tell him as if he actually forgot after all the weeks of practicing.

“well, I got bored over there and was getting mauled by all the girls. Thought I’d sneak away to see you, since I know you won’t attack me.”

“brave words Richards.” He sticks his tongue out at me and I laugh.

He tucks a piece of loose hair behind my ear. My breath caught but that didn’t change much since the corset I had on was already cutting my air supply.

“ew.” We hear a high pitched voice behind us, “like I said, no one believes you’re a couple.”

What didn’t make sense about that comment is that we really weren’t a couple…yet.

“what are you doing over here Amanda? You’re supposed to be with the other girls.” Ryan says.

“and you’re supposed to be on the other side of the stage.” She replies.

Ryan looks down at me with his ‘help’ eyes. I roll mine and make something up, “his mom wanted him to ask me to dinner after the show. She couldn’t find me earlier and there’s some things we have to go over for the Christmas party.” I say, “and just because you haven’t found another boy to boss around Amanda, doesn’t mean your ex hasn’t already moved on. You should just accept that he’s not interested in you. well, actually, accept that no one is interested in you.” she glares at me and then stomps off.

I turn to Ryan and smile, “one of these days she’s not even going to try.”

“and when that day comes we’ll actually be together.”

“come on, get over to your side, I don’t need you getting in trouble right before the show.”

“fine, fine.” He pecks my lips, “you’ll do great.” He says and then walks back over to his side. If only I believe that myself. I take a peek and see that it’s a full crowd. Even the football team was here, which made me laugh to myself.

Part of the reason I was nervous was because of the whole admitting our feelings scene. It wasn’t until last Thursday that we perfected it and I’m afraid he’ll screw it up. That’s right, I’m not nervous for me, I’m nervous for him.

“and to think my mother wanted me to dance with him!” we were still in the beginning, at the first ball. Amanda kept eyeing me like she was planning something but I knew she wouldn’t do anything to ruin the play…would she?

“rude or not, the man is a handsome one. I'd take him any day over one who is polite.” Kayla, who was playing my best friend giggles.

“yes, handsome and rich, though I must say-“ I start to reply but then was pushed to the ground. Wtf? I open my eyes to see Amanda standing above me, ready to fight. I slowly stand up and dust off the really pretty dress I had to wear. Yes, I did just call a dress pretty.

“what are you doing Amanda?” I whisper to her. The crowd was all staring wide eyed. I sneak a glance to Ryan who was standing in his place in the back corner. He looked worried just as much as I felt.