Big Brother

A/N: Welcome to Chapter 2! This is a rewrite of the second episode, "Sonic to the Rescue", which is slightly more content-heavy than the last chapter. The chapter name "Big Brother" is a double entendre. It can mean Sonic being an older brother figure to Chris, but it is also the nickname commonly given to the government.

Also, if anyone is curious, I imagine Station Square being in California between the towns of Santa Maria and Santa Barbara, about a few hundred miles northwest of Los Angeles.

Also, at the time I originally published this chapter in November 2018, I had never seen the Metarex saga, which meant I had started writing this story without watching the full anime. I remembered that "Teasing Time" and "A Revolutionary Tale" looked really exciting, and even today, I can't wait to get to those episodes.

Without further ado, let's move on to what matters most: the story!

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Chapter 2
Episode 2
Area 99 - Infiltrate the Government Headquarters‼
Big Brother

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Thorndyke Mansion - Chris's room — Sun August 21; 8:02 AM — Chris' POV

When I opened my eyes and glanced at the clock the next morning, I saw that it was 8 in the morning, which was the time I usually got up each morning. I felt a bit tired, which I probably should have expected, because I only got a total of about seven hours of sleep. And that wasn't enough sleep to go on at my age.

And then I remembered what happened at the pool last night, and like ocean waves, all that excitement rushed back to me. Once again, I felt the pure joy of a kid on Christmas morning. The wish I made last night had come true.

Morning couldn't possibly have come fast enough. I was surprised that I had gotten any sleep at all after the experience I had, even though I did finally drift off sometime after 5:30 AM. Even now, I couldn't control my excitement. An actual space alien had fallen into my pool! How cool was that?! On top of that, it — no, he — was the answer to the wish I made last night!

But there was one question still lingering in the back of my mind.

Is this too good to be true? Can Sonic really become my friend? Or is it all just a fluke?

Sure, he seemed friendly enough as far as actions and attitude went, but it was the attitude that seemed to set him apart from other people I had met before. He was cocky like no one else, not to mention he seemed to exude an extraordinary amount of self-confidence. He was unique too. Not only did he claim to run at the speed of sound in order to escape from the police, but he actually demonstrated his super speed right in front of me to prove he wasn't exaggerating. Not once did he slip on the floor around the pool, and he stopped on a dime as well. It was surprising to watch.

Yawning, I stretched my arms, rubbed the sleep out of my eyes, and climbed out of bed. Then I remembered the wet pajamas I had stuffed under my bed. Reaching down, I picked up my now-stiff PJs. They were only slightly damp by now, but I figured they would dry off quickly, and unless Ella somehow picked up the scent of chlorine, she wouldn't know the difference.

I left my room and ran into the bathroom, making sure no one was coming my way first. Locking the door behind me, I immediately ditched the evidence and tossed my damp pajamas in the hamper before getting ready to brush my teeth. Only then was I reminded again of Mom's pool rules!