News of the Royal Ball

One day, It happened that the king's son, Prince Charles was having a royal ball and all the people in the kingdom were to be invited.

The women of the house were also invited, for they cut a very grand figure among those of quality. 

"This is so exciting!" Galaxia exclaimed. "I hope the prince finds me interesting." added Diana.

They were delighted about the invitation and wonderfully busy selecting the gowns, petticoats, and hairdressing that would best become them. 

This was a new difficulty for Minako, for it was she who ironed her sister's linen and pleated their ruffles. They talked all day long about nothing but how they should be dressed.

"For my part, I will wear my red velvet suit with French trimmings." said Diana.

"And I," said Galaxia "shall have my usual petticoat. But then, to make amends for that, I will put on my gold-flowered cloak, and my diamond stomacher, which is far from being the most ordinary one in the world." she told Minako.

They sent for the best hairdresser they could get to make up their headpieces and adjust their hairdos, and they had their red brushes and patches from Madame Carp.

They also consulted Minako in all these matters, for she had excellent ideas, and her advice was always good. Indeed, she even offered her services to fix their hair, which they very willingly accepted. 

As she was doing this, they said to her, "Minako, would you not like to go to the ball?"

"You'll probably make fun of me, for it's not a place that I should be in." Minako said sadly.

"You are quite right," replied the sisters. "It would make the people laugh to see Minahai at the ball." said Diana.

Anyone but Minako would have fixed their hair awry, but she was very good, and dressed them perfectly well. 

They were so excited that they hadn't eaten a thing for almost two days. 

Then they broke more than a dozen laces trying to have themselves laced up tightly enough to give them a fine slender shape. 

Diana and Galaxia were continually admiring themselves in the mirror.  At last, the night of the Ball came. 

The stepmother and her daughters left the house and Minako wished her stepfamily good luck at the party. 

When she lost sight of them, she started to cry.