| seven

╔══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮ ══════╗

𝗖𝗔𝗥𝗗𝗜𝗚𝗔𝗡

chapter seven:just a small town girl

chapter seven:
just a small town girl

╚══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮══════╝

WHEN SERENITY WAS really little, back before her parents completely left her and Spencer alone, they would take Serenity and Spencer to work with them, located at one of the buildings in downtown Hawkins. Obviously, as children, they were full of energy, and a quiet government building wasn't exactly the place for it. So, around lunchtime, their parents would take them to the field behind the building, and they would eat out of a picnic basket and run around.

Serenity wasn't exactly sure why she decided to go there with the picture of her. Maybe it was for closure — accepting that her childhood was completely gone, and she was an adult now and had to accept that her parents didn't care about her as much as she wanted them to. A huge part of it could've been Spencer — if Serenity did end up dying, Spencer would hear from Steve about where they went, and he would know where to go. Or possibly it would give her kids and the love of her life somewhere to go to remember her.

The car had been stuck in silence ever since Serenity's house. Serenity couldn't get the feeling of Vecna's skin on her, how piercing his eyes were, how scared she felt. It seemed like the others could feel the fear coming off of her in waves. She pointedly ignored all of their stares — especially Steve's — and continued staring straight out the window, watching the scenery of her home go past her.

"Stop here," Serenity said once they reached downtown Hawkins, spotting the field. Steve obliged and pulled over on the side of the road, and for the first time in minutes, she looked at all of them. "I'll just be a few minutes."

She made sure the picture of her was in her pocket before opening the door and shutting it behind her. Serenity started to walk towards the field, but she wasn't alone. There was the sound of another door opening and shutting, and when she turned around, she saw Steve walking towards her.

Serenity sighed. "Steve, I said—"

"No," Steve stated firmly. "Baby, I'm not waiting in the car."

"Steve, please—"

"Hey," Steve interrupted, grabbing her arm and making her look at him. "'Renity, I've known you long enough to see that you're scared, more than it was before. What happened back there with Spence?" He put a hand on her cheek. "Did you see Vecna again?"

Serenity's heart pounded against her chest, and she involuntarily leaned into his touch. "He's trying to get into my head, but I'm fine. Seriously. I mean, as fine as I can be, considering I'm about to die."