The Summons

Although not related to Petrich Hollenburg nor Nora Baudelaire-Hodgins by blood, Gilbert and Violet Baugainvillea were no less an uncle and aunt to them both

Although not related to Petrich Hollenburg nor Nora Baudelaire-Hodgins by blood, Gilbert and Violet Baugainvillea were no less an uncle and aunt to them both. 'Uncle' Gilbert met them at the dock with a company lorry to take them to his  home where 'Aunt' Violet was ready to pour hot tea. 
         Petrich and Nora  had come to expect this routine after long journeys to the mainland, and very much looked forward to their peaceful company after all the hustle and bustle of Grand Showings and other various events.
         There was lots to discuss, coming back home this time. Breaking ground for the Ecarte Observatory was only weeks away, and it was quite a topic among the locals.
           There was also talk of Hilary, Violet and Gilbert's 16 year old son and only child.  Dietfried Baugainvillea, Gilbert's older brother, who had fathered no children (that anybody knew of, anyway), had named Hilary his sole heir to the Baugainvillea fortune.  Upon graduating from the nautical academy within just a few months, Hilary would be going to university in Machtig, renown for its business school of study.
           Preparatory education for such a fortune was key, and it was something Nora could have very well have been a part of, if Hilary Baugainvillea's dream had come true for them. But it had not and that had been for the best, of course. 
           Besides, Nora's heart had been taken at the tender age of thirteen by the celestial scribe she now assisted. And she could not, in this life, foresee ever asking for it back again.
           When plenty of tea and cakes were consumed, Violet brought to them their bundle of accumulated mail, neatly tied with a ribbon.  There was always a lot to sort through, and something that tended to wait until the day after their return.
           The letter on top, however, caught Petrich's eye and he slipped it out from beneath the ribbon.  Violet sipped her tea, her eyes watching him over the cup's rim.
            "Interesting," said Petrich, reading the return address.
             Nora leaned in. "Who's it from?"
             "Dr. Stephanotis." he answered, breaking the seal, "I know of him," He looked at Violet, "Violet told me about working with him when she was an Auto Memory Doll for your father's company,"  Violet acknowledged this as true with a slight nod. "But I've never met him personally.  He became a manuscript archeologist after spending years at Justitia Observatory as an astronomer. He seems to have something of a sixth sense when it comes to hunting down the rarest of scripted antiquities.  Quite an extraordinary fellow, but rather private."
              Petrich then unfolded the short letter and read it to himself, then looked at Nora,  speechless, his blue eyes sparkling behind his spectacles.
              "Well?"  Nora asked, laughing and gently slipping the letter from Petrich's unresisting hands and read it herself.

Master Celestial Scribe Hollenburg-

Being a fellow alumni of the Justitia Observatory, we surely know of each other by name if nothing else.  But if by chance we do not, let me introduce myself.  My name is Dr. Leon Stephanotis and I have a proposition for you.  My latest assignment is to seek a celestial contract document believed to be somewhere within the ruins of Danzig Castle in the northwest region of Gardonia. In order to access and transport such an item, I am asking for your assistance.  Few celestial scribes have expertise of your caliber, and I am only willing to work with the very best in the field.
There is no set amount for compensation for your time. As of now, several institutions are in a bidding war to have possession of this particular document. The monetary reward is increasing by the day, if that sort of thing interests you.
I shall wait for a response of acceptance or refusal from you before seeking elsewhere.

Sincerely,
Dr. Leon Stephanotis

       "Oh my. . ." Nora replied, and took a moment to read through the letter once more. Then with Petrich's permission read it aloud to their company.
        "Hmm. . . Danzig Castle. . ." Gilbert mused, "During the war, we fought battles near it, but it was never used as headquarters for either army. Most likely because of it's inconvenient location. What is left of it is perched on a cliff. It truly is a ruin."
         "Logistically impractical for an army, but from what I've read about his ventures, not much of anything thwarts Leon Stephanotis if he is after something." Petrich replied.
"Out of curiosity, Petrich, why is it so very important to have a celestial scribe along?" Violet asked, "Leon sounds awfully desperate for you to help him."
"Not all too sure, Violet.  Surely he has recovered celestial documents before." Petrich shrugged, "But, who knows? Perhaps he worked with other celestial scribes in their recovery. It is true that they must be handled delicately. Celestial scribes are of the belief that the documents are living things and must be cared for properly. Which makes one wonder how one would be left behind in a ruin. It's usually the first item a family will grab if a fire breaks out, just after seeing the children safe. . .well, ideally." Petrich grinned mischievously.
"Are you looking to accept the offer?" Gilbert asked.
Petrich looked at Nora. "What do you think we ought to do?"
If there was one isolated moment when Nora's heart tended to melt for this man the most was when he sought her advice. Not that these moments were often, for she was still in training learning to be a proper assistant to him.
            Nora took a moment to consider her answer.  Truth be told, she knew Petrich was exhausted, as she was herself. They had looked forward to relaxing a few weeks in their little shepherd cottage that had at one time been a cave below the hill where the new observatory was to be built. 
          But there was also work to do, too. They had already lined out a plan of study for her involving advanced astrophysics during their stay.  Nora had proven gifted in mathematics as a young child, but the arithmetic involved in astrophysics was beyond her capacity without Petrich's instruction with the more complicated functions.
              After a moment, Nora made her decision about the Dr. Stephanotis' proposal, which was no decision at all.
               "I recommend we sleep on it, at least for tonight."
                 Petrich smiled at her gently, "Yes, I wholly agree.  In fact, if we do not get home, I'll end up dozing in this very chair."
                Gilbert saw them off in the borrowed company lorry and came back inside to help Violet clear and clean the tea service.
               "You were not completely truthful with them." Violet commented, "Before they decide about Leon's proposal, they need to know what we saw at Danzig Castle during the war."
Gilbert nodded. "Very well . . .I was just hoping that I would never have to speak of it again."