Dr. Stephanotis

From Petrich Hollenburg to Dr. Leon Stephanotis:

Dr. Stephanotis-
After much discussion between us, my assistant-in-training, Ms. Nora Baudelaire-Hodgins, we are very interested in your offer. We shall be arriving in Leiden by passenger ship on May 15th. The address where we will be staying is the on the card enclosed. It is the home of Claudia and Cattleya Hodgins, my assistant's parents, where you will be most welcome.
We shall have further discussion once we are together in Leiden.
Thank you for your consideration in this rare opportunity.
Petrich Hollenburg

Dr. Leon Stephanotis was not so very much older than Petrich, but grey had began to creep into his neck length dark hair, and his expression was of an intelligent man who had seen much, but truly enjoyed little.
Nora was quite sure if only his expression were a bit less stormy, he would be an extremely handsome man. But as it were, he merely appeared intimidating. 
           She did not cower, however, when they were introduced on the veranda of her parent's elegant, yet modest villa.  Nora did as she saw proper, which was to stand tall and be fearless. She refused to appear as she sometimes felt, which was nothing more than a nervous 17 year old girl. 
            Dr. Leon Stephanotis, took a moment to merely look at her, as if deciding if she was worth his valuable time, then finally bowed to her.
             "Assistant-in-training, are you, Ms. Hodgins? A student at Justitia, I take it?"
              "No, Doctor," Nora replied, "I have been in independent study over the past three years, under Master Hollenburg's instruction."
              "Ah," replied Dr. Stephanotis, looking at Petrich standing next to her, "Uncommon for an assistant, even one in training, to begin so young, Master Hollenburg."
               Petrich grinned (although his eyes did not), "Uncommon, indeed, Doctor. No one was more shocked than I when our bond was revealed  in the stars."
               Dr. Stephanotis, returned Petrich's grin with a snide smirk. "Quite convenient for you, I'd wager. A nice early start for a potter and his bit of clay."
               Petrich kept his grin. "Well, once I tried to defy the stars, Doctor. Had the audacity to tell them they were wrong."  Then Petrich's grin faded, "I was not successful in it. I dared not risk it a second time."
                Dr. Stephanotis was the first to finally look away. "A celestial scribe so in tune with the very heavens as you have proven time and again, Master Hollenburg, is the very scribe I need for this expedition."
                "Only made possible with my assistant by my side." Petrich added.
                "But of course." the Doctor replied, in an unreadable tone, as Nora's parents, Claudia and Cattleya Hodgins, who had been introduced earlier at the Doctor's arrival, convened on the veranda for a late luncheon.
             The initial tension between Leon Stephanotis and Petrich seemed to ease as they fell into conversation about the expedition in privacy.
              "So, Master Hollenburg, what did the conversation sound like between you and your assistant to decide to take my offer?" Dr. Stephanotis wanted to know, after a long talk of logistics.
              "Much of it was me telling Nora the great many manuscripts you've been able to procure, and preserve. Being asked to come with you was an honor, in and of itself.  But it is true we've been traveling over the past three months and a much needed rest was in order." Petrich confessed, "But the final deciding factor was, well. . .the compensation."
             Dr. Stephanotis folded his arms and frowned. "The money, huh? And here I was thinking celestial scribes were practically drowning in their own wealth."
              Petrich chuckled. "Not all celestial scribes are about to begin construction of their own observatory on recently purchased acreage on a remote island. Extra funds are always appreciated."
             The Doctor shrugged. "Fair enough. If extra funding is what you seek, I'll have you know, the bidding between three institutes has reached well over 30 million corse. And I am more than willing to divide the final selling price equally."
              Nora gasped and Petrich smiled. Nora had imagined quite a bit, but nowhere near this high of a selling price.
              They had discussed making the observatory into an actual school for novice celestial scribes, but knew the funding for it was beyond affordable. But now. . .well, it could actually be possible.
Dr. Stephanotis produced a contract stating that the final selling price would be divided between himself and Petrich equally, among other legal jargon that went along with such agreements. But nothing within the contract slipped past without full understanding.
When Petrich and Nora were both satisfied, Dr. Stephanotis produced a fountain pen for them to sign the contract.
Just before Petrich took up the fountain pen, he asked the question both he and Nora agreed needed answering before signing any contract.
"Um. . .not that this makes or breaks our decision, but I feel it needs discussion."
Dr. Stephanotis looked a bit taken aback. "Very well. What is your concern?"
"More curiosity than concern really. . .but the three Gardarik officers found murdered in the ruin during the war. Are you familiar with the occurrence?"
"I am. What of it?"
"It was never solved."
"From what I understand, the occurrence was never even investigated. Lots of deaths go unaccounted for in a war. So, I tend to see it serving little to no consequence to my task. And, anyway, the account given is shoddy, at best."
Petrich and Nora exchanged glances, then Petrich continued. "Yes, wartime accounts can be riddled with errors, but. . .we know that the original eyewitness account can not be anything but the honest truth."
"Oh? Well . . .I do not keep company with soldiers, past or present, because lies are the order of the day under their commanders." the doctor sniffed haughtily.
Nora could tell Petrich was growing weary with this man's insolence and leaning forward, said, "Well, you kept company with this one, after the war while you still resided at Justitia. She spoke as if you were actually friends. . .or was she merely being another no good, lying soldier to you?"
The haughty expression slid from Leon Stephanotis' face, and was replaced with one of shock, his grey blue eyes growing wide. And suddenly, Nora was able to see the youthful, the afraid, the lonely boy astronomer Violet had described to them only a few days ago on Ecarte.
Leon Stephanotis then looked away. "Violet Evergarden was the exception, of course. . ." He looked back at them. "I take it she is well, yes? Did she find the one she was looking for?"
Petrich and Nora stole another glance at each other. "Um. . Yes," Petrich nodded, "She did. Married him, in fact, about 17 years ago, and. . ."
"Married him?" the doctor interrupted, in a somewhat hurt tone. He then slowly stood from his chair and took a few steps toward the balcony overlooking the city of Leiden, hands on hips. "So, who was it? Village sweetheart, or something?"
"She had been seeking her commanding officer, Major Gilbert Baugainvillea. She found him on Ecarte Island, where Nora and I live. They were married, had their only child, Hilary, who just turned 16."
Dr. Stephanotis listened but still kept his gaze beyond the balcony. He visibly sighed, came back to the table and sat down. His demeanor had very much changed from that of an arrogant ass to a man one might one day actually call by his first name.
"Tell me Violet's account." he said, and he listened carefully as Petrich repeated the eyewitness account Violet had relayed to them less than a week ago.
After Petrich finished, the three of them stared at the unsigned contract sitting in the center of the table.
             "Was Violet of the belief that it may have been something supernatural that took their lives?" Dr. Stephanotis asked.
Petrich shook his head. "Violet is rational truth personified. This was the first time I had seen her trying to rationalize a situation she simply could not. I could see that it concerned her, still to this day."
Leon Stephanotis reached out his hand and slid the contract and fountain pen closer to them. "This has just turned into something more. I want to find the answer to those murders, for Violet. Are you still in?"
Petrich took up the fountain pen, took in a deep breath and signed the contract. "For Violet."