Meeting Ms. Fitzhugh

The journey by train from Leiden to the city of Dresgorn would take four days, then they would switch to a northbound train for another two toward the Kushkin Mountain range

Nora's task on the first day of the journey was to stake out their path onto a great map of the northwest region Petrich had pinned on the wall of their private railway car. 
              The map was not the newest edition, in fact it was printed over 20 years ago, not long after the war. But Nora had access to more recent atlas books, with which she was able to fill in on the old map the names and locations of towns and small villages along the way, and scratch out the towns and villages that had been totally destroyed yet still printed.
Petrich sat at a nearby study table with a plethora of books, painstakingly piecing together the Danzig family history. Dr. Stephanotis joined him and was able to provide quite a bit of information and the Danzig family tree was finally branching out, but there were still gaping holes, particularly around the time the celestial document presumably was created and where the family timeline abruptly ended.
              "This would have been one of the few peace times in this region." Petrich said, "There had been a plague among the poorest villagers nearby, but that's a good 10 years prior to this time. What happened, I wonder?"
              Leon Stephanotis had no answer for it either, other than mentioning the forever present typical folklore consisting of creatures stalking humans in haunted forests and witches and demons. 
           "I don't put stock into such things." he let both Petrich and Nora know, "But there it is."
           "Hmm. . .I'll ask Fitz when we get to Dresgorn." Petrich replied.
             "And who is Fitz?" Leon asked.
             "Her actual name is Gabriella Fitzhugh, and the former police inspector of Dresgorn, but now she's a criminal case consultant for the entire region. Absolutely, brilliant. . ."
              Nora turned back to her wall map, but not before she caught Leon's eyes shift to her as Petrich kept on.
               Nora had never met this woman, but Petrich talked of her as if she were a wise goddess. He never described her physical appearance. He was always far too engrossed in talking about how she played a central role in the Rykindella case, and how she, Petrich and Dietfried Baugainvillea just nearly did not make it out alive.
               Nora knew her feelings stemmed from no more than petty jealousy, but it certainly did not help when Petrich never failed to tell others that Fitz had been his 'first assistant'.
Faux assistant, more like, Nora thought as Petrich again regaled the fact that Fitz stood in as his assistant at the Grand Showing at the Rykindella mansion, but only as part of an investigation. 
             Leon listened, then shrugged. "Could be worth asking, then." He stood from his chair and went to Nora at her map and grinned as a weasel coming upon an untended nest of eggs. "So, what do you think?"
              Nora made sure she smiled back at him nonchalant. "I'm looking forward to finally getting the chance to meet Ms. Fitzhugh."
              Leon leaned closer to her and said lowly. "Yes, I bet you are."

               The train pulled up to Dresgorn station, and the three of them disembarked.  Gabriella Fitzhugh was to meet them there, according to Petrich's telegraph reply.  So, Nora looked about for a woman of roughly Petrich and Leon's age, standing tall and intelligently elegant in the latest fashion, for this was what Nora had built in her mind.
               But no one really fit the description. All the women were either married women on the arms of their husbands with children trailing behind, nannies pushing along prams, or elderly women with walking canes.
                Petrich spotted Gabriella Fitzhugh first, of course, and made a beeline to what looked like a strange boy in his teens dressed in a three piece suit and protective eyeglasses (or were they actual goggles?).   Nora and Leon exchanged curious glances as they followed. 
               Petrich was all smiles in their greeting. The boy wore a happy grin, albeit somewhat guarded. Petrich made his introductions.
              "This is Miss Ellenora Baudelaire-Hodgins, my bound assistant in training, and Dr. Leon Stephanotis, our travel companion." Petrich turned to Nora and Leon. "Nora, Doctor, this is Ms. Gabriella Fitzhugh."
                "Nice to finally meet you, Ms. Fitzhugh." Nora said with a bow.
                 The thin, boyish face complete with a hawkish thin nose and thin lips turned to her. Without seeing her eyes behind the dark glasses (no, they were, indeed, goggles), her expression seemed incomplete to Nora, like an automaton. . .like Violet can look sometimes, Nora thought. 
               Gabriella Fitzhugh grinned and bowed back to her. "An honor to meet you, too, Ms. Hodgins.  Petrich will have in you a fine bound assistant."
               Leon smirked. "By the given account, Ms. Fitzhugh, I was beginning to think you had been Petrich's first choice in assistance."
                Gabriella Fitzhugh's face turned to his, and said nothing, as if studying him for a couple of seconds before answering. "Dr. Stephanotis," she said with another bow, "A doctor of medicine?"
"A doctor of history. astronomy and antiquity." Leon corrected, "A doctor of medicine requires caring for others far more than I care to, in general."
"Mmm." murmured Gabriella Fitzhugh, "It's nearly time for tea. I made reservations."
Nora's jealousy began to fall away and be replaced by a strange fascination. Gabriella Fitzhugh, clad in her male attire and dark goggles gave her an otherworldly aura. Suddenly, Nora felt annoyance that Petrich had actually told her nothing of this woman. She now felt it was of upmost importance to know more.
At the outdoor bistro, they enjoyed spiced tea and plenty of fancy pastries that were so much better than anything they had eaten on the train.
                Ms. Fitzhugh did not seem too keen on reliving the past of the Rykindella case, and Nora was most grateful for that.
                "So what brings a celestial scribe, his assistant, and an archeologist to Dresgorn?" Ms. Fitzhugh asked. "A new commission?"
               "I couldn't say much by telegraph. Just thought I'd explain once we got here."  Petrich began, and from there told Gabriella Fitzhugh of their mission.
                "Danzig Castle, huh?" she replied, "Interesting."
                "We were hoping you could help us with the history of the family, particularly around the time of the document's commission."
"And the deaths of the remaining members of the family?"
Petrich shrugged. "We just know the family history ends here. I did not assume it ended because of multiple deaths. What from? Illness?"
Ms. Fitzhugh shook her head. "To believe the locals in and around the region, they met with the Danzig Demon."
Leon snorted a laugh. "Well, that's worthless information. You look to be a rational. . .individual, Ms. Fitzhugh." he said, as Nora scowled at him for the thinly veiled insult, "Surely there is a better explanation than that."
Ms. Fitzhugh sat down her teacup lightly. "I am, Doctor, a rational individual who has come to the conclusion that all schools of science began with a tiny spark of curiosity cloaked in a thick layer of oral history, which I believe is the very definition of folklore. I refuse to disregard its value."
Leon rolled his eyes. "So, this Danzig Demon, what worthless piece of folklore brought this creature to life?"
"It is said to be an actual person, that being the oldest daughter of the family."
"Crinoline Danzig?" Nora asked, shocked. "How did they believe her to be a demon?. . .She was my age."
                "Her life was a tragic one and her end horrific. . .but, there are no public records." Ms. Fitzhugh turned her face to Leon, "Only the word of the locals. . .only folklore."
                 Leon, stared back at her from across the bistro table, then sighed irritably. "Well? You going to tell us about it or not??"