Ch. 1

"Jia let's go! Breakfast is ready!" Jia groaned as she looked over at her clock. It read 8:07 a.m. Jia groggily got out of bed and went into her bathroom to brush her teeth. She took her twist- out down and put a headband on to keep her curls out of her face. She came out to put on a lounge set and lotion her caramel skin with some coconut oil. The smell of bacon filled the air as she went downstairs to find her dad making her a plate. Her favorite: blueberry pancakes, bacon, and eggs. "Looks great dad." Jia grabbed some orange juice as her dad sat to join her. "So, are you ready for your first day?" Jia was starting her first day of junior year tomorrow and she was a little nervous.

The thing is, Jia is a hybrid; half vampire, half witch. Her mother was a vampire and her father was a warlock. When she was 7, they were both killed in a car accident. Her adopted father is Reverend James Dove. Part time reverend, part time monster hunter, full time father. While he doesn't know that his darling Jia is a supernatural creature, he spends his free time protecting her from all the other monsters that dare enter the small town of Blakemore, WA. Jia doesn't know about her father's hunting and he plans to keep it that way. While Jia hasn't been officially trained on using her powers, she finds time to practice some things when she can.

"I think I'll be fine. Besides, I'll have Brayden with me." Her father rolled his eyes. He isn't Brayden's biggest fan. "Come on dad, we've been friends for years. What's your big deal with him anyway?" He stopped, then began to eat his food again. "There's just something off about that kid." The two kept eating and Jia's phone began to ring. It was her best friend Brayden. "Hey B. What's up?" "Hey Jia, you wanna go to the mall?" "The mall?" Jia looked at her dad with longing eyes. He stared for a moment before giving her a reluctant nod. "Sounds fun. I can be ready in 30 minutes." "Sounds good, I'll be there in a few."

James sat staring at Jia. "What?" "Oh nothing, just you seem very excited for your date." Jia frowned. "It's not a date. We're just friends." "Does that boy know that?" "Brayden knows we are just friends. Trust me, I am definitely not his type." "Umhmm, I just know he better keep his paws to himself" James said sipping his coffee. Things grew quiet for a moment. Jia looked at James, "So, can I have some money for shopping?" James raised his eyebrows. "Please. You don't want me to look like last season on my first day, do you?" James chuckled before pulling out his phone. "Go get dressed and I'll send it on Zelee." Jia laughed, "It's Zelle, daddy." She gave him a hug and kiss on the cheek. "And thank you." Jia went upstairs to get dressed.