Dinner

I watched King stroll down the driveway of my adopted home, seething with anger. I slammed the door once he was a good distance down the road. Some of the pictures on the walls rattled, and Aaron was staring at me, a mixture of confusion and shock on his face. "Don't worry about King. No one likes him." I sighed, straightening out the small welcome rug by the door. "I don't really need to be told to figure that out." Aaron pursed his lips into a thin line, then folded his arms behind his back. He was a quirky boy. Quirky, but funny. "So this whole... mask thing. What's that about?" He changed the subject a bit too quickly, and I'm sure that was a question he's been holding in all day. "Well, we're not really supposed to talk about it." I was sure to make my tone a bit stern, to show that I wasn't kidding. "King's nowhere near Swan." He shifted his weight on his opposite foot, then folded his arms across his chest. In reality, we were told to wear the masks in case the United Kingdom caught wind of the camps and invaded the United States. It'd save our identity so it'd be harder for bounties to find us; another reason for the masks is because if we were caught there was no doubt we'd be put to death. Then again the masks didn't really help anything in this situation, it was more just a comfort thing so you wouldn't feel too guilty I think. At least that's how most of the Masquerades act. "Listen I don't know okay?" I snapped defensively. I only got a raised eyebrow in response. "And your name? I know it's not Swan, no one I've met was named Swan. Or are we not supposed to ask about that either?" Aaron sighed, shifting his weight once more to the opposite foot. "We're not allowed to talk about it! Wed get our names based on our masks, that's all I'll say alright?" I hissed. The prying and questioning made me feel uncomfortable, and this certainly wasn't the funny, sarcastic Aaron from two minutes ago. His expression was cold and hard, as if it was set in stone. I think that's why my mind momentarily changed opinions about him. Now, I don't think I'd mind beating him over the head with a bat. The constant and rapid questions were probably just a distraction for me, to catch me off guard. "Well I just-" I cut Aaron off quickly, "No. No more questions; one more and I'll give you a matching bruise on the other side of your stomach." I threatened. That shut him up real quickly. No wonder they all thought we were monsters; always threatening to hurt them if they didn't do what we said. I heaved a small sigh, throwing my hands down to my sides. "I-I sorry... I just.. We're not really allowed to talk about that stuff and you kept asking questions and I panicked." I began ramble, meaningless apologies flowing out of my mouth. "No it's fine. I shouldn't have been pestering you." Aaron shrugged. He tried not to seem like he was irked by what I had said, but the awkwardness of the situation said it all. "They always have a big dinner the first night. Try to make you guys seem welcome and all. It's back at the school." I said quietly, moving towards the kitchen and stuffing all of the medical supplies away into one drawer. Aaron shuffled from side to side a bit, not really knowing what to do. "Come on, it's going to start soon. Everyone has to go." I adjusted the mask on my face, and I could see Aaron trying to get a glimpse of my face as I did so.

It wasn't a long walk to the school, and a couple of other Kingdomers joined Aaron and I. "I have to sit with the other Masquerades." I nudged Aaron before moving away towards the long table that looked like it was used in conferences at one point. I took a seat, noting the empty seat next to me. I looked around the table, trying to find out who was missing. Foxtrot. Foxtrot was another Masquerade that not all of the Masquerades typically liked; but for totally different reasons... Well... Not quite. Foxtrot was a bit harsh with punishments, but he regularly lashed out and testified against King when King was being unfair with the prisoners. Most of the Masquerades didn't talk to Foxtrot because he was either too intimidating to them or because King watched Foxtrot like a hawk, and anyone who talked to him became one of King's targets. I was probably Foxtrot's only friend come to think of it.
Eventually Foxtrot did show up to King's great disgust. He plopped into the empty chair next to me, then everyone fell silent and all of the boys were looking forward at us. Most puffy-eyed and tear stained cheeks. King apparently decided it was his time to speak. "Enjoy your new home. Dig in everyone, you won't be getting another meal like this for awhile." He smiled. He actually smiled! What kind of sick human gets joy out of other's misery? Some of the Masquerades mouths were hanging wide open, shocked at King's short but loud statement. Most of the Kingdomers were staring at King as if he was bluffing, but King was never bluffing; never. I blinked ferociously, trying to process the thought of taking away the boys' rights. King folded his arms across his chest, and before I could stop myself, I heard my chair being pushed back. This had recaptured the attention of everyone. Suddenly everything was in slow-motion. My fist connected with flesh and everything spiraled out of control.