last shot

Nathalie spent a full nine and a half days at The Farm in Virginia, and this stay should not have lasted any longer. Not because of Hurley or his candidates, but rather because none of it matched her life or ideology, and never would. She lacked access, some would say. Rules and instructions or not, doing everything without question or thought was definitely not one of her strengths. This blind obedience was one of the many reasons why so much went wrong in the world and others were allowed to take the blame.

For the last time, Nathalie calmly read through the three written pages about the Hurley program, put the sheets into a brown envelope and flattened them unnecessarily. She hoped she was doing the right thing. It had taken her quite a while to get to the point, because she had to start over three times because she had dropped a word or two that had no place in a report. Objective, impartial and without personal feelings. Neutral and objective. It would have been much easier if she had been allowed to be an observer during the last few days and not a "candidate" in any way.

As soon as Nathalie arrived home, the first thing she did was to take a shower and then count all the marks, bruises and contusions. Fortunately, she was spared any fractures, although she was expecting them and, after the first day, strongly suspected them. After this entry, that thought was not too surprising.

•••

A big black SUV was waiting with the engine running at the same spot where Nathalie had been dropped off earlier. Her bag weighed a hundred kilos, thanks to the sore muscles in her arms, shoulders, and the rest of her body. Thanks to this boot camp, she would be happy to do without sports for the next few days. Maybe even for the next few weeks.

"I assume you will agree with your clients in their fears and tell the government it is best for all concerned to shut this program down," from the sound of it, Hurley was somehow attached to this program, though it was hard to believe there was anything the former Navy commander could be attached to, "When you give your report, ask yourself why it was started in the first place. What was the catalyst for it?"

"It's not my job to decide that, and it never will be. That is for others to do," because this was a decision that more than fifteen government officials had to make, and in this system Nathalie was just a small wheel in the big system, "I wish you good luck, Mr. Hurley. No matter what the government decides. Because you are doing a good job.

And the government will make a decision. No matter what some commissioners and Nathalie have written or not. It will just be an excuse for what this was all about. To get rid of Hurley's program and to get out of it by saying that consultants, analysts and former civil servants are of the opinion and the conviction that "Orion" is not the right solution for all our problems. It was worth a try, but not in this form, and something new is desperately needed. This is how it will go.

"My future husband is doing the honors. And I thought I'd be rid of you from now on and not have to put up with you any longer," Nathalie chuckled, looking over the roof of the SUV at the clearing Ronnie was coming across and resting one elbow on each of the open passenger door and the roof, "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"The day of departure has finally arrived, huh? How lucky I am. I wanted to discuss something with Hurley about tomorrow," Ronnie, unimpressed by Nathalie's words, stood on the opposite side of the car, crossed his fingers on the roof and looked over at her, smacking his lips tonelessly, "I'm afraid I don't have a ring handy to propose to you. Next time, when we see each other."

"Hey Ronnie, don't you want to pack your bags and leave right now?" Hurley called out to them, causing Nathalie to barely noticeably shake her head and, like Ronnie, put on a pity smile for the bad joke, "Then you'll save us, and especially me, the drama that will come once she's gone."

"He's a big boy, or so it seems, so I think he'll survive... I'm not even his type," Nathalie countered, turning to Ronnie, which Hurley couldn't understand because he was long out of earshot for that, and the first honest smile since she'd been here appeared on Nathalie's lips. "Maybe you'll take something from the last few days. After all, it's your own life that's at stake, not Hurley's or anyone else's. I'd always ask myself if it's worth it and what the risk of success is."

"A simple 'take care of yourself' would have done the trick," Ronnie replied matter-of-factly, pushing himself off the car and walking past the trunk to Nathalie, who raised an eyebrow, "You'll get a ticket to my funeral when the time comes."

"Look at the world from a new angle. Question things, Quarterback, that's what I was trying to say," Nathalie sighed and put an arm around him, planting a kiss on his cheek and pulling up the left corner of his mouth as she looked at him, "You're Sugar Ronnie. Damn cute if it wasn't for your pathetic patter. That's why it would be a shame for that face if something happened to it. You could have anyone, but as soon as you open your mouth, it's over. That was goodbye to your ego. Maybe it's time for you to think about your future, to quit and get a regular job in the CIA. No one can do this job forever."

"Please don't tell me you've fallen in love? I'm honored," not even a minute ago Nathalie had mentioned that Ronnie's problem was his bad mouth, she put a hand on his cheek and turned his head to the side, "Don't worry, I know you're more of a manager or lawyer type."

What did the job have to do with a person's character? All right, someone can have the best and most prestigious job in the world, but if that person ends up being a serial killer, they are still a shitty person.