Chapter 1: Madam A

I walked gracefully down the winding marble staircase of a great palace-like house.

Halfway down the road, I noticed a fire burning from the fireplace in the elegant living room.
My mother sat in a brown leather chair sipping red wine from a large glass and staring at the glowing flames. Out of the big windows there was the darkness of the night, but in the sky there were beautiful stars.

In spite of the late hour, my mother looked neat and elegant.

Her light blonde hair was clamped in a large bun, and she was dressed in a long, transparent golden robe. In front of her, on a crystal coffee table, was placed a small plate on which the bloody human liver was melting.

Apparently, my mom was eating a meal.

I wasn't scared at all because we ate every meal together every day. I ate ordinary human food, and my mother ate food made of human flesh.

I knew from the beginning that she was a ghoul and not my birth mother. Actually, I don't remember my birth parents. I never wondered where they were or under what circumstances they disappeared. When I was abducted, I was too young to remember. I was sold at auction when I was only two years old. So it's normal for the memories to be erased.

My mom never hid the fact that she was a ghoul from me. From the very beginning, without any restraint, she ate human corpses in front of me. I was used to seeing people suffer.
My mom used to take me to auctions at ghouls restaurants, where there was always slaughter and macabre.

Despite that, I've never been afraid.

I knew it wasn't coming for me.
I knew Mom wouldn't let anyone hurt me after all.

From an early age, she taught me various martial arts to defeat ghouls who even tried to touch me.

It made me who I am now.

Harder than steel.

I rarely feel fear. I've even forgotten what it feels like. Actually, I stopped feeling anything. Pain, fear and happiness were completely alien to me.

I was like a machine.

Her killing machine.

"My sweet baby!" she looked away from the fireplace and turned to me as soon as I got downstairs.

"Good evening, Mom." I bowed tactfully to greet her.

Even though I saw her practically all day, I always bowed to her to welcome her. Because that's what a good girl would do.

The woman glanced at me from top to bottom, and when her gaze stopped on my white lace dress with pink ribbons, she broadened her smile.

"You look so blissful, innocent...like a porcelain doll!" she said with clear excitement in her voice "All these cute Big Madam pets are no match for you! It's no wonder I fought with her for you during the auction, and now that I've won, she's boiling with jealousy to see you and your angelic face!" She giggled triumphantly.

I stood by her motionless, silent. I wasn't allowed to say anything, so I couldn't get any sound out of myself.
Otherwise, I'd be punished.

I've had a lot of bad memories with Big Madam. Ever since my mom put me up for auction, Big Madam's been waiting for an opportunity to kidnap me.

When she saw me, she would always harass me with comments that would make me uncomfortable.
Sometimes during the auction, she'd come up behind me when no one could see and touch me in private places...

It gave me a nasty chill, and then I threw up on the toilet.
It was the kind of punishment that only my mom could use when I was rude...no one else.

"The long, red hair..." my mother whispered, gently rolling her fingers over my hair. "Those lovely brown eyes..." She looked at me like a living work of art.