Chapter 2: My worst nightmare

Hey, I added big changes to this ff and I'm starting to rewrite everything. I hope you like this new version ;))

——————————————————————

That day has finally come.

The day my nightmare is just about to begin.

To be honest, I wasn't exactly looking forward to this moment. Just thinking about it made me nervous in my stomach.  Even in my worst nightmares, I didn't realize what a terrible feeling of loneliness I could feel when I stood like a pole in front of the CCG, with a box full of my necessary things to move out and contemplated all the possibilities of what was waiting for me inside. I don't know anyone here. How am I supposed to deal with all this?

That was the day I started my job at that damn CCG agency.

For a few minutes, I stared at the modern glass door of a huge building in central Tokyo, watching people go in and out, unable to break through to get inside.

Just going in there seemed to me contrary to my values. The thought of the people working there killing ghouls, those ghouls that I had been so close to since my childhood with Madam A, twisted me inside out.

Just a few minutes ago, I was begging, and even begging my mother, shedding a waterfall of tears, not to send me there. I didn't want to do it so bad. It was so hard for me to come to terms with.

Why did she do this to me?

Why me?

Until now, I thought I was her eye and she wouldn't let me get hurt. She took care of me, taught me a lot of things. In fact, I didn't know how to find myself without her in a world I'd never seen before. I didn't know how to live without her.

She just left me. Without any scruples. Like I meant nothing to her.

I was convinced that sooner or later those people would realize that I was being replaced by Aogiri. I didn't know how to act to keep it from happening. My job was to provide as much information as I could, and I had no idea how to do it so I wouldn't get caught.

Thoughts were in my head.

The more I used my imagination, the more stressed I got.

I tried to take deep breaths to calm down a bit and start thinking rationally.

I finally decided I had nothing to lose. I'd have to show up there sooner or later. Whether I want to or not.

So I moved towards the door.

My feet were like cotton wool. Every step I took, I thought I was about to fall. I had a wave of thoughts telling me the worst-case scenarios.

The glass door opened as soon as I crossed the threshold.

I immediately noticed a crowd of people walking in the hallway. The receptionist, sitting behind a long counter with a computer, sent me a nice and pleasant smile at my entrance.
I walked up there, panickedly looking in all directions, looking at the surroundings and avoiding the crowd.

"Good morning." embarrassed, I said hello to the woman. "I'm looking for room number 500, could you tell me which floor it is? I'm here for the first time and I don't know the schedule."

"Of course." She said in a nice and resonant voice, "It's on the 20th floor. You have to take the elevator, which is just around the corner," she pointed at them with her finger.

"Thank you." I sent her a sincere smile and bowed.

Immediately afterwards, I headed for the elevators. When the steel door opened, I passed a crowd of exiting workers. I went in uncertainly.