𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗜𝗜 ⸺ 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗼𝘂𝘁.

┊ ┊ ┊ ┊✯ ┊ ┊ ✯★ ┊ ★✯ ✯★

┊ ┊ ┊ ┊
✯ ┊ ┊ ✯
★ ┊ ★
✯ ✯

THE LAB WAS definitely not where Amraë would have chosen to spend her evening had she been given the choice, but she was nonetheless curious to see what Kiri wanted to show her. The scientists, some reminding them that only avatars were allowed in the labs — to which Kiri answered with some sarcastic imitative noises — seemed otherwise completely unimpressed with the presence of the Na'vi, even though the latteras could probably squash them in a single footstep. This strange cohabitation between the Sky People and the Omaticaya was something utterly unfamiliar to Amraë, whose clan had always and only known antagonist relationships with these short aliens.

Many scientists saluted Kiri and Tuk as they entered the lab and each grabbed a breathing mask; others looked warily at Amraë, probably bearing in mind the rumors of her rather frenetic arrival. She imitated the sisters and, her mask hanging around her neck, followed Tuk's hopping pace and Kiri's calmer walk to the far back of the lab, somewhat relieved that it was not the same room she previously attempted to escape.

Amraë's pace slowed as she approached the tank; her eyes widened. She had never seen an inhabited avatar before. The woman looked peaceful with her eyes closed as if immersed in a pleasant dream. Kiri climbed onto the tank, a smile coming to stretch her lips as she contemplated the woman. The sense of familiarity suddenly struck Amraë. It was impossible, but...

"That avat—woman", she said, coming to rest a hand on the tank. "She is your mother, isn't she?"

Kiri nodded slowly, eyes not leaving her mother's face. "Amraë, meet Dr. Grace Augustine."

This time, Amraë's jaw dropped. "That is Dr. Augustine?"

She looked at the avatar again as if she was only seeing her now.

"Did you know her?" Kiri asked with sudden interest as she jumped off the tank, before hastily correcting herself, shaking her head: "I mean, how did you hear about her?"

"My aunt Marali was in her school. She did not like the RDA, but she always said that Grace was different. That she wanted nothing else than to understand the Na'vi, to learn from them. The children called her sa'nok. And then..."

"Most of the students were killed," Kiri completed, her ears folding backwards. "Mother told me."

"Why were they killed?" Tuk asked, who had been making funny faces at her reflection in the glass why the older girls talked.

Amraë leaned against the tank. "They attacked an RDA machine, set it on fire. They ran to the school, thinking that Grace could protect them, but the Sky People chased them. One girl was killed on the front porch."

"It was mom's — Neytiri's — sister, I think," Kiri said in sad contemplation. "Sylwanin."

A short silence was established; then, another obvious question came to Amraë's mind.