Path

It's difficult to do much when you're living with the detective that's trying to find you, but I've found a way.

"Light, it's been hours now and no criminals have been killed," Matsuda complained. "Why are we watching the news anyway?"

"Just watch. Kira might give us a hint..." Light's statement oddly reminded me of myself.

I pretended not to be interested in the news. Well, perhaps 'pretended' isn't exactly the truth - I've never really enjoyed watching Channel 10, so I sat against the wall with a magazine. Maybe I'll toy with Moon a bit. This should be more interesting than the television.

I flipped open to the page of the magazine I had carved a rectangle shape into. The notebook sat snugly within the pages. It was a significantly thick magazine, a special compilation of Miss Amane's best work. I hated to waste such a good magazine but it was only to make sure that Moon would go nowhere near it. I've been specifically ensuring that he's disgusted with the supposed attraction I "feel" towards Amane.

Forty seconds after I scribbled a name down, there were simultaneous gasps across the room. I don't need to explain.

"Did you see that? He just had a heart attack out of nowhere!" Matsuda exclaimed.

"Yeah, it's nothing new at this point," Aizawa said. "I don't think you need to say it."

Moon looked over at me, most likely expecting me to be glued to the magazine. I peered up at him over the pages. He raised an eyebrow and turned back to the television.

"But still, isn't it crazy-"

"Be quiet," Moon snapped. "Kira must be watching the news right now, this victim hasn't been broadcasted before. It's a Wednesday, so we can be sure he's not a student or employed. Unless he took a day off today. Aizawa, what does the data for every other day tell you?"

"It says spontaneous heart attacks plus other criminal deaths in ridiculous manners at all hours, chief- I mean, Light. Sorry."

"Hm.. So it does."

"What do you think the murder weapon is, chief?" Matsuda asked, emphasizing a bantering tone on that last word.

"Please don't refer to me as 'chief.' To answer your question, I'm not sure." A lightbulb went off above Moon's head. "We need to question the family members of the victims. Ask about eating habits, daily routine, etc. Maybe then we'll find the missing piece..."

"Are you sure it's one of those things?"

"I'm almost positive. If not, it might be time to start considering the idea that Kira is actually some sort of god." Moon joked and glanced at me. "What do you think, Ryuzaki?"

"I think it's an excellent idea. Practical applications are a good place to start." I successfully threw him off the trail. No, I'll rephrase that - he threw himself off. This is going smoothly. "I'll assist with the interrogations if you'd like."

"Alright, sounds good. I think it's about time we get to work."

Moon flew right into my web. Time to see if he can escape.

"Hey, Lawliet," Ryuk said, sitting next to me. He stared at the hole I made in the magazine. "I've got a question. You know what, I think I'll call you L instead. It's easier to pronounce, it's like a cute little nickname. Wait, is your name pronounced 'low-light' or 'law-lee-yet'? Or is it neither?"

I gave him a questioning look. He needs to get to the point.

"Anyways, do you think this guy Moon is actually smart enough to catch you? He's not even paying attention to you at this point."

I nodded subtly after making sure nobody was watching. Moon was a perfect match for me, I could feel it in my bones.