Shin Ji-Hye ❀

A week later

A week passed since the Crown Prince had left for the Lee Residence with guards of the Royal Inspection division. He had been safe on the way to the destination for he sent a letter to the King as soon as he reached there.

Meanwhile, the Palace was bustling with guests and visitors as it was the Young Prince's birthday in a day. Visitors from other countries, noblemen, Court officials, ministers and distant relatives of the Royal family.

Mae-In sat by the edge of the pavilion she took her classes in and sighed at her rather distorted lantern. She had stopped worrying about the Crown Prince for a while but couldn't get rid of the unsettling feeling that nestled in the pit of her stomach. It was the day of his return but he wasn't back yet. And even if he comes back safely, trouble won't cease them.

"Senior Court Lady Eun-Ju, how is this?" the Princess lifted her lantern to Lady Eun-Ju and beamed.

Mae-In was having a special class todayㅡ with Princess Chae-Yeong, Tae-Sak and Court Lady Jin-Hee. All of them volunteered to make lanterns to decorate the main hall for the Young Prince's birthday the next day. Senior Court Lady Eun-Ju volunteered too. So, the five of them sat in the pavilion and crafted the red flower-shaped lanterns.

Tae-Sak was desperately trying to glue the paper; Princess Chae-Yeong was working on her sixth lantern; Court Lady Jin-Hee paid all her attention to detailing the lantern with beautiful and unnecessary patterns; Senior Court Lady Eun-Ju helped Princess Chae-Yeong and Mae-In sat glumly with no work done.

"Maid Tae-Sak, you are glueing it the wrong way." the Senior Court Lady said to Tae-Sak. The nain nodded and glued the lantern the other way.

"Court Lady Jin-Hee, we won't need any more patterns on the lantern." Senior Court Lady Eun-Ju directed to the Court Lady who was busy drawing flowers on the lantern which looked less like flowers and more like ducks.

"Here you go, Senior Court Lady Eun-Ju. I believe the Young Prince will like these very much," the Princess said, submitting the lanterns to her.

"He has to, Your Highness. Your crafting skills are incredibly nice." She complimented the Princess in response.

"Your Highnessㅡ" Senior Court Lady Eun-Ju called Mae-In who did not pay any attention as she was nonchalantly chewing the end of her brush, mind buried in thoughts.

Tae-Sak and Court Lady Jin-Hee looked at each other. "Is she worrying about His Highness again?" Tae-Sak whispered to Court Lady Jin-Hee. "I don't know. She does look kind of troubled," the older woman whispered back.

"Crown Princess!"

Mae-In jerked out of her thoughts and blinked at Senior Court Lady Eun-Ju.

"Crown Princess, haven't you done anything?!" the sanggung raised her voice at her. Mae-In flinched and looked at her incomplete lantern. "Ohㅡ I'm sorry..." she muttered awkwardly.

She was folding the paper when suddenly, a gust of wind yanked the lantern out of her hand. The lantern flew out of the pavilion and landed just by the edge of the lake that was near.

"No! Come back here!" Mae-In jumped over the railing of the pavilion to bring it back in the lantern in a manner which was horrible in as many ways as possible and raced after the lantern which kept straying further away as the wind blew. Finally, the incomplete mess of a lantern drowned itself in the water of the lake in shame of its appearance.

Mae-In kicked a rock and cursed colourfully at the situation. It took a while for the realisation to kick in that she did this in the very presence of Senior Court Lady Eun-ju. When it did, she curled her hands into fists, hit her head and turned to her teacher in the pavilion. Senior Court Lady Eun-Ju reacted as per her expectation--- an eye twitching and a vein popping out on her forehead.