Chapter Three- King of the School

Lauren pulled the ends of her hair with frustration. She had a lot of homework to do and absolutely no energy to do them. Lauren shut her book with a slam and sighed. She felt so tired. She cursed whoever thought homework was a good idea. The girl she saw outside the kitchen window popped up in her mind. She shook her head and threw herself on her bed. She looked up at the red ceiling and sighed. When her parents adopted her, her father asked her if she wanted to do anything to her room and they could make it their project. She and her dad painted the walls red and even got furniture with red in them. A bed with red pillows and red and white striped sheets, a black cabinet with red and white colored drawers, a red chair, red and white shelves, and a red rug to put above the wooden floor. Lauren has always liked red for some unknown reason. They left the closet doors white and got white blinds for the windows. The desk was white too and so was the lamp on her desk. Her room wasn't too big but it was enough for her. It was better than her last room which was the attic.

Lauren used to be in the foster system. She got her first foster family when she was three years old. The Meizlers were wonderful people. They had a son that was about the same age as Lauren. They treated her like she was a part of them and she was grateful for that. She was with them for about a year and she thought she would be with them forever. But life wasn't always easy for Lauren. They had to let go of her due to financial problems. She saw that they didn't really want to do it but they had no other choice. Her second foster parents were not exactly like the Meizler family. They were horrible. They treated her like they were just forced to take her in. She was only fed when they felt like it and she wasn't even allowed to get food herself. They only treated her right whenever there were guests. She was so unhappy. She was thrown away after a couple of months and that was when her current parents found her. She was five years old that time and they happily adopted her. It wasn't that bad when she started living with them. She played with Tyler and her dad was always there. Even her mom used to be a little affectionate to her. But she never forgets that she isn't really her daughter and that must have been why she was distant.

Lauren sat up from her bed when she heard something hitting the window above her bed. She pulled the blinds up and looked down below. There was a guy throwing pebbles on her bedroom window. She pulled open the window and was surprised when a pebble hit her forehead. She rubbed her forehead and picked up the pebble that landed on her bed. She held it up for the guy to see and raised an eyebrow.

The guy raised his arms up. "Sorry!" He yelled and dropped the remaining pebbles.

"What are you doing?" Lauren asked and dropped the pebble and watched as it dropped down the ground.

"I got the wrong house I guess. I was trying to be romantic." He explained. "Do you know where Lenin Siem's house is?"

I frowned and pointed to the house in the other street.

He smiled apologetically. "Thank you Princess!"

She fidgeted. Calling her princess seemed so familiar. "My name isn't princess."

"Yeah? My name's Matthew, and yours is?"

Lauren crossed her arms. "I'm not telling you my name."

Matthew smirked. "Well I guess I'll stick to Princess then. Good night Princess."

Lauren rolled her eyes. She closed her window and lay back down. She looked up at the ceiling once more and found herself falling asleep.

Estelle opened her eyes slowly and looked around her. She was lying down on the cold, hard ground. She stood up and brushed the leaves and dirt off her dress and hugged herself due to the cold wind. She touched her neck where her necklace used to be and looked at her hands next. She waved her right hand around expecting something to happen but nothing did. She looked around and noticed the lights and the towers nearby. Her eyes widened. Those weren't lights. It was a fire. She began to run back to the castle. It was a long run and by the time she had reached the village she was panting and her lungs burned. She continued to run to the castle uttering a quick sorry to the people she would bump into. When she reached the front of the castle her mother was standing in front of the doors about to board their family's carriage.