Chapter 49

Mishal

I was sitting on the balcony of my apartment, sipping coffee. Suleiman had left an hour ago. I should have rejoiced at the fact that he finally accepted the fact that I didn't want to be with him, but all I felt was a void. I couldn't understand why I was feeling like that. Wasn't it what I wanted for the past three years? Then why wasn't I happy?

Flashback

The moment I entered my lawyer's office, I was met with the familiar scent of Suleiman's cologne. Memories flooded my mind, and my vision blurred for a second from their intensity. It was like the 18 years of my life had been insignificant in front of those ten months I had spent with Suleiman.

Each day of my married life was etched in my memory as clear as day. For the past year, I had been running away from those memories. I was hiding from everything that might remind me of him.

It had taken my whole resolve to be in the same room as Suleiman. I avoided looking at him just because I was afraid the moment I glanced at him, my entire resolve would break, and I would melt into a puddle at his feet.

"As both parties are present here, we should go ahead with the signing of the divorce papers," my lawyer spoke after I settled in the chair beside him and across Suleiman.

"I wish to speak with my wife alone for a few minutes," Suleiman announced.

My heart missed a beat for a moment at his voice, but I controlled my emotions and said without looking at him, "I have no wish to speak with anyone."

Without even looking at him, I knew how furious he would be. I could sense his gaze on me, but I didn't find the courage to look back at him and kept staring at my nails.

I signed the papers which the lawyer passed me and handed them back to him, which he handed over to Suleiman's lawyer. All the while, Suleiman's piercing cold gaze was fixed on me and made me uncomfortable.

I held my breath when Suleiman's lawyer passed him the papers. I was expecting him to shred the documents into pieces, but to my astonishment, he scribbled on them and left the next moment without giving me another glance.

End of flashback

I kept the mug aside on the small coffee before me. The doorbell rang, and I got startled, was Suleiman back? Was he here to take me with him? But he had the key to my apartment, so there was no sense for him to ring the doorbell. I got up from the chair and walked inside the living room and then to the door.

I sighed when I saw Armaan through the peephole. I was in no mood for a confrontation with him after what went down between Suleiman and me. But I couldn't turn him away from the door. I unlocked the door and opened it, stepping aside so Aemaan could enter.

"How are you?" He asked after the initial greetings.

"I am fine," I replied politely.

"You don't look fine to me," he said.

I couldn't understand the problem of these men when I was telling them that I was okay. Then why couldn't they accept it? Why was it necessary to annoy the fuck out of me?

"I am okay. You didn't tell me why you were here?" I knew I sounded rude, but I was not in the mood to entertain anyone in my current state.

Armaan looked at me, startled, he wouldn't have expected me to be rude to him, but I couldn't help my mood, which was sour for no reason. I should have been happy and celebrating, but all I felt was a feeling of hollowness.

"What happened?"

"Nothing," I replied, walking towards the couch and settling on it.

Armaan kept standing on the spot near the door. He regarded me intently, and I got uncomfortable under his scrutiny.