Chapter Five | Mama Knows Best

Chapter Five

| M A M A      K N O W S      B E S T |

"You know, walking home late at night isn't exactly the safest thing to do, sweetheart." The aged man said beside me, making me falter before gaining at my regular pace. Rule number one in the Creepy Guy Next to You Handbook, never show weakness or a sign that you're weak and vulnerable.

A cold laugh escaped my cracked lips, but my heart soared to the moon and back. "I'm a big girl. Don't need some crackhead to tell me whether it's a good idea to walk alone at night or not."

Suddenly, a hand slithered its way from my back thigh until it came to rest under my butt. My body stiffened at the sudden contact, but I'd manage to clutch onto the waist of my jeans, searching for one specific item. "C'mon baby," The man stepped behind me, his free hand brushing my hair while he leaned in close and whispered in my ear. "Let's have some fun. I can sure manage to fuck you up better than how I am now."

See, the thing about stoners in Salem were that they were complete idiots. Considering the amount of violence in Massachusetts over the past few years, almost every teenager carries around a weapon of some sort. I wouldn't know about that though, considering I have no friends. But, still, it's an assumption because of all the gangs forming in this area.

Making sure to release the pocketknife from the waistband of my jeans, I clutched it tightly before sliding it up my worn out jacket sleeve. "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

A throaty laugh bubbled from him, before he coughed into my hair. The man composed himself soon after, raising his hand under my butt to reach it's destination. He firmly gripped my ass in his rough hands. "Oh, honey, and who's going to stop you?"

I was thankful my mother taught me to fight before she left the hell we call the world. Twisting my torso as quickly as lightning striking, I elbowed my opponent before punching him square in the neck, making him wheeze for breath.

Kicking his stance off the surface with a lift of my leg, I prance over to my victim, watching as he clutched a hand to his throat. "Oh, it wasn't even that hard." I swung the pocketknife out of my sleeve, revealing it's shiny, cold to the touch, exterior. "You know, for a vile man such as yourself, I could kill you. I have nothing to live for anyways. But, I wouldn't do it for your benefit, no, I'd do it for the sake of the poor, defenseless, girls. How many have you claimed?"

The man was now looking at me with fear in eyes, to which I returned mines with absolute hatred. I hate this man with everything I could possibly muster. "But, I won't kill you." I watched as the man blew a quick breath of relief, "Because Mama knows best."

 But, she would have let you do it anyway, my consciousness reminded me, making it all the harder to leave the situation with the man on the verge of tears.

 Don't do it, just be the bigger person and walk away.

I turned on my heels just as the man started to rise unsteadily onto the soles of his feet. I didn't turn around as I shouted, "I see you again, it won't end well."

—-

"Okay, class." Mr. Cuvier started, clapping his hands before retrieving a packet from his desk and sending them out to students, row by row. "We'll be working on a group project with another class."

Excited murmurs from the class filled the once silent classroom, causing Mr. Cuvier to roll his eyes in irritation, "Settle down now kiddos. Let me explain the project assignment before you go off finding your partners.