Chapter One | Dark Enough

Chapter One

| D A R K E N O U G H |

As I lay in the field I grew up in, I couldn't help but think, the world's always against me.

Counting the number of constellations that filled the starry night sky, my thoughts wandered around my mind. It was always this time of year when I received the biggest headache, one which caused me to go take four or sometimes six tablets of Advil to decrease the pain I was feeling.

It was just that bad.

My mind was already dark enough as it is, meaning I don't need these extra unnecessary thoughts to pile up. Sometimes, going to the deepest parts in the forest where it was quiet, helped, but at most times it didn't. I would drive back to my crummy and repulsive single apartment where I would take the Advil and call it a night. It wasn't that easy though.

Today's pain was bearable, because I have gotten use to the pain after so many years of experiencing it. Counting the stars above helped relaxed me a bit, knowing my parents were among them as well as the generations before them.

And there it was again. The pain.

I groaned, clutching my head with the both of my hands as I begged for the pain to stop. Of course, after the countless number of times I begged before, why would it suddenly just listen now? It's not like my mind made choices to torture me with horrible migraines which sometimes made me wonder if death felt better. Like I said before, the pain was just that terrible.

The trigger was the mentioning of my parents. I was doing so well, then I thought of the stars and just—

"Aah! God! What the fuck!" I sat up almost immediately, as I clutched my now throbbing head in my hands. I kept muttering to myself, "C'mon Del, only four more hours to go." But, four hours seemed a lifetime to the pain I was in.

"Think of something else, just think of anything." Rocking back and forth on my bottom, I fisted my hair, grasping it tightly against my scalp, as I kept talking, "Think about ponies. Think about the snow on the ground. Think about your favorite book. Just think about anything."

I was slowly going insane, I just knew it.

"I don't know what to do Mom, it hurts. It hurts so bad."

I could almost hear what she would say, well suck it up. You're a big girl now.

—-

Shrugging my coat on, I walked out the door of my apartment and down towards the lobby. I never stayed in my apartment for too long, it just skeeves me out because of how disgusting this place looks. But, it was all I could afford. It was better than living on the streets right?

Walking down the street, I stuffed my freezing hands into my coat's pocket to provide it some warmth. Taking a left, I walked a few more yards before entering The Brown Cafe, which was one out of the three jobs I had.

Instantly, the aroma of coffee of all sorts hit me straight to the nose. Luckily, I had grown accustomed to the smell of it because if I hadn't, well then, I'd walk out the door. I personally wasn't a big fan of coffee, but I needed this job.

"Hey Delia." One of my coworkers, Ryan Boree, greeted from the counter near the cash register. I simply nodded my head greeting in return.

Making my way to the back of the counter, I grabbed my nametag and apron, slipped it on me, before going out front to take my place at the register.

A short and stubby bald guy whom was dressed in a business suit, made his way to the counter, or should I say wobbled. "Hi, welcome to The Brown Cafe. What can I serve you today?"