Don't Run!

*26-1, 26W St., Lower Manhattan, NY*

"Mom, I'll be ok. I'm not a kid anymore." I said to my mom on the phone as I tried to put the vase on the upper shelf on the wall opposite to door in my new apartment.

Tomorrow is my first day at work. The traffic in the city seems terrible. But, what can we say? It's New York. The big apple. A city for dreamers. It's a dream coming true that I got selected on my first interview. To be honest, the job is just a reason, all I wanted from a young age is to live in New York. I completed my studies in the city where I was born and brought up. Dover; is not a place for me. It's my parent's place now. I'm officially a New Yorker now as I signed the rental documents for my apartment this morning. I took out the clock from the box and sat it on the desk and set the time as 7 pm and the date as 10/9/2001.

I came to the city a week ago to search for apartments. I stayed at Uncle Ben's. I roamed the streets of Manhattan and finally could find this apartment by yesterday evening. Not bad. New place, new work, New York, new life.

It came to me as a surprise that I got placed at the new branch of the company. The lady who gave me my appointment letter at the office back in Dover said "You are going to work in the clouds." I didn't know what she means at that time, but as I came to know where I am working, I felt she was right. I am going to work in the World Trade Centre. Yeah, the south tower of the Twin Towers. I think every day will be a special one if you are working in the tallest building in the world and on its 66th floor. I feel everything is piling up on the right track.

"What's that sound Chris?" said my mom from the other end of the phone as she heard a glass-shattering sound

"Uhm...it's nothing mom," I said as I tried not to step on the pieces of glass

"You broke something?" asked my mom

"Yeah, just a frame," I answered carelessly

"Chris, how many times did I tell you to be gentle and slow with things? You have to be calm. You are always clumsy. Where you got to run to?"

"Mom, I am not clumsy. I just couldn't get a grip of it. By the way, if we are talking in general; I am running to be ahead of the world" I said as I got lost in my thoughts while my mom put me on the hold

Well, you got to run, don't you? The world won't stop until you tie your shoelace. My father always taught me this; either you run or you get stamped on. People went crazy, societies are falling down, and climate change is a real thing.

Power is money, money is life, and life is a race, a race for money, it doesn't matter if you are having your dinner or getting eaten by the struggles in the world, you better keep on running. Run for the fame, run for the name, run for the money, run for the honey. All I learned is to never stop running.

I came to my senses as my mom spoke again taking me off the hold.

"Well, Chris, it was your father who called, to ask if I need any groceries, I better go with him, or else he is going to take oranges for the lemons." Said, my mom

"Yeh, no problem, I'll call you later," I said

"Yeah, about that run of yours, you better not lay your eyes on the end. You got to enjoy the run too. Bye, dear. Take care" said my mom before hanging up.

***

"Shit, shit, holy shit" I cried as I tossed my bed trying to find my glasses

I don't know why this happens all the time. My alarm didn't go off. It's already 7:45. I have to be at the office by 9 'o'clock. It's only 15 min walk from here but I still haven't gotten out of bed. I better take a taxi for today and plan that walking-to-office drama later.

"Jesus!" I cried out as I got hit by the door as I tried to run into the bathroom

I showered, dressed up, and took care of my files and things by 8:10. I looked at the box of cereals in the cupboard and felt my stomach literally screaming for some breakfast but we came to deal later that I will grab something on the way. I really wanted to be early to the office and make my first impression as good as possible, but think I might reach there only by a few minutes early.

I came onto the road and tried to get a taxi. I got one after a few minutes. I planned to walk to the office daily because it would be a lot better than crossing 6 signals on a straight. If my luck doesn't speak and get all reds, I'll be done for the day. Which unfortunately happened right now. "Shit!" I said to myself. It's already 8:30 and I still have 2 blocks to cross. I'm stuck at the traffic light. I looked out of the window and found the sidewalk clearer than the road. So, I paid the driver for the trip and got down, and ran toward the World Trade Centre.

As I reached the last block, it is 8:40. Red light for crossing. Well, I can see two beautiful towers standing parallelly opposite to each other, extending their peaks into the clouds. The sky is clear which we say strangely clear. It's only 5 min walk from here. I think I will make it within that time. While I am standing here until the lights turn green at the corner of the road, I hear someone.

I turned back and there sat an old man with his white beard looking like a saint with his sparkless eyes showing all the wisdom he got from all those years. He is homeless. A dog sat beside him with dirty fur. He got a book in his hand and a few more beside him on the ground. He didn't care about any passers. He just sat there on this beautiful morning and read out a few lines from the book loudly so anyone who is a few feet nearer to him can listen. I didn't hear him for the first time but I heard him now say;

Don't run boy, don't.
Slow down for a while,
Listen to that sound.
Stand at once
And look around.

Your elders taught you
The secrets of life
But I'd say they missed their days
In foolish strife.

To earn and burn
Is all that they taught you,
your head's been bent for so long,
You forgot to see the sky so blue.

Oh boy, don't run.

You are working the week,
And saying it's all right.
But you are running towards that weekend,
So you can drink the whole night.

You will get up on Monday,
And wear those pants so tight,
With the face so grey
To prove that your collar is white.

Oh boy, don't run.

You forgot to see the road as you walk,
To listen to that strangers talk
You forgot to feel the air you breathe,
As you continuously March
towards your death in a sheathe.

Oh, don't run you stupid!

Put off the fire under your shoes,
You got nothing to lose.
Feel that mid-day lunch, play some blues,
Not a second of present you dare to refuse.

You are there where you have to be,
You will end this race and you ought to be.
Not the fast one who wins,
No, they can't have it.
You have to be the tortoise, not the rabbit.

Find that one person,
Whose legs are slow,
Praise that person for being human.
Fine him for not knowing how to run.

Oh, Don't run boy. Don't!
As you run, you are missing your days,
at the end of the day, it's only a mouse maze.
Stand for a while and walk a little,
Reach there slowly, it's only
death blowing the whistle.

"Hey boy, I didn't see you there, great message huh?" he asked as he noticed me after completing reading that poem.

"Yeah, really eyes-opening" I replied barely collecting my words

"Yep, it's by a young Indian writer," he said as he pet the dog

I nodded and looked at my watch and it showed 8:46, 11th September. It's late but I might walk rather than run. As I looked at the towers while I am standing here at the signal at the corner of the road, a plane came crashing into one of the towers.

Well, what if I was early to the office?
That's the question that never left my mind.