Chapter 11. Drawing the Line

It had been a few weeks since all of Tracey's furniture was brought to the house

It had been a few weeks since all of Tracey's furniture was brought to the house. After setting up Bucky's bedroom set downstairs again, they put her queen-sized set in their bedroom. Everything from both households that they planned to sell was piled together in the basement for a yard sale to be held in a few days. After that disturbing weekend where Tracey found out about her former neighbour her emotions had settled down especially after she took advantage of seeing a psychologist that her employee health plan provided. Even though Tracey felt supported by Bucky and Rebecca she wanted to be sure that she dealt with everything in an objective environment. There had still been several nights with nightmares where she woke up crying and Bucky held her until she felt safe enough to close her eyes again.

When the weekend of the yard sale came up it was a warm autumn day in early October. The leaves had already started turning providing a picturesque scene for the people that came to view the furniture, knick-knacks, and other bits and pieces that all three felt they could do without. Rebecca proved to be a shrewd negotiator, not allowing the buyers to take advantage of her advanced age to drive the price below what she felt was fair. By the middle of Sunday afternoon they sold many of the bigger furniture pieces, including the vintage ones Bucky found in the basement earlier in the summer. Their "rainy day" fund had a healthy start. Tracey's cell phone rang and she answered it without looking at the call display. As soon as the person on the other end spoke her face dropped and Bucky watched, concerned.

"When?" she asked the other person. "Where is she?" There was a pause. "Okay, I'm on my way. Don't let her go back to him."

She hung up and for a moment Bucky wondered if she would be alright. Then she looked up at him and jerked her head for him to follow her to just inside the back door.

"That was my sister Wendy," she said. "My Dad assaulted my Mom. They're at the emergency department. Didn't want to trouble me. My sister phoned the police on my Dad but she's afraid he's going to come to the hospital to talk my Mom out of the charges."

"Do you want to bring her here?" he asked, his face serious. "She's more than welcome."

"You don't mind?" asked Tracey. "He doesn't know where I live now."

"Go get her," said Bucky. "Bring her here. She can stay here as long as she needs to."

Tracey put her hand on his arm then pulled his face down for a quick kiss. "I love you," she said quickly, then she was gone.

By the time she returned several hours later they had shut the yard sale down, Bucky had carried the few remaining pieces back down into the basement and dinner was almost ready. He wasn't sure what he was expecting when Tracey brought her mother in but when he saw the broken wrist that the older woman sported he was ready to seek out Tracey's father himself and give him a lesson to remember. The two women stopped at her parent's house to pick up a suitcase of clothes for her mother while her father was still at the police station, having only enough time to grab what they could and stuff it inside. Bucky took the suitcase from Tracey when she walked into the house leading the tired and timid looking woman.