Chapter 5

Donald looked up rather annoyed that someone dared to enter his office unannounced. He had heard there were people in front, but how could they dare not knock?
Much to his dismay, the door was left open, too, and while he was getting ready to teach someone a lesson, a fraudulent smile found its way on his face when he saw her.

"Hi Donald. I only have a quick little request for you, it shouldn't be too hard to not twist it around and use it against me again. Would you mind if you matured a bit and told your little friends to stop fucking harassing my friends?" she spoke quickly, mimicking a polite attitude, yet being deliberately petty.

"Well, actually, Ray, i'm not exactly sure what you're talking about, but I might take it into consideration if you go out, close the door, knock, and enter again, politely."

He looked at her seemingly calm, yet the superiority complex could be felt all over the room. He took a quick glance behind her, seeing the silhouettes of a few people, now silent. He would have preferred to keep their interactions private for now.

"I'll knock and be polite when you stop being a dick" She said it loud and clear, wanting everyone to hear her.

"Now you've fucking done it" he said, quietly, more to himself.

He got up and went to the door. As he put his hand up to close it, he looked at the boys waiting in the lobby, their faces terrified either at seeing him, or at the thought of the poor person inside of the office.

"Scram." he said sharply, making their blood run cold.

By the time Donald shut the door, they were no where in sight.

Ray watched him turn around to face her, and she felt weirdly small. She did not move in retreat and kept her act going, even though she realised she could have gone about this issue way, way differently.

She didn't know what to expect as he came towards her, no clear expression on his face.
He pulled a chair, and before she could do much, he forcibly sat her down.

Her shoulder ached where he had applied the pressure, but she wasn't going to complain.

"Sign."

Ray looked at the documents in front of her: a contract, as expected. She looked at the range of pens carefully placed in a holder, and chose a fountain pen. Soon after picking it up, she placed it gently back on the table.
Not having to face Donald as he was behind her, she had the courage to refuse.

"I already said I'm not joining the Union." she didn't radiate any emotion, matching Donald's energy.

"You said you wanted your friends to be left alone? Sign it."

Ray audibly exhaled through her nose.

"Seriously?" She laid back in the chair. "Those little boys are not enough of a bother for this. I was trying to be nice, but I see you don't like to do things that way. Well, in that case, don't be upset when they come back to you in more than one piece, alright?"she spoke to him as if she was speaking to a misbehaving child.

Donald really wondered where she got all that courage from. She didn't seem afraid for a moment, even though most of his associates would have gladly signed anything by now.
But if she wanted to show off with big talk, she came to the wrong place.

"Do you feel brave today, Ray?"

The intense way he asked the question made Ray tense up. This time, Donald noticed.

"Looks like I didn't really catch you in a good mood"

He was wondering what she was going for, as she seemed to try making an escape, but knowing her feisty attitude, he could also expect something different.