(R) THE DEVIL'S PERSONAL BASEMENT

ROMAN POV

The door to the basement was locked, well I'd been waiting to give Melodic Cudgel a field test, so I drew my cane and popped the reticle up, I aimed at the lock and pulled the trigger.

A flare burst from the business end of the cane and destroyed the lock along with half the door, I kicked the rest of it open and bolted down the stairs.

Miltia was standing in a corner of the facing off against a large black thing, the bony white spikes and glowing red streaks along it's body marked it as a Creature Of Grimm.

The monstrous beasts that roamed Remnant, driven by only to destroy humans and Faunus, but I'd never seen one like this before, it was like a rat or a mouse, only six times bigger and uglier.

The long black tail whipping back and forth behind it had white barbs on it's end, as vicious as it's sharp claws.

Someone bumped into me from behind, I jumped when Melanie started to move forward but I grabbed her.

"Go upstairs, I'll take care of this, whatever this is" I whispered.

The monster's head snapped around to stare at me, it's eyes blazing, it opened it's mouth and hissed revealing double rows of teeth as long as my fingers.

"You were saying?" Melanie said.

"It's a Capivara Grimm" a screen on the wall turned on to show Paul Parrot's face, I noted the cameras positioned all around the room, I bet they were for more then security, Paul Parrot liked to watch his victims die.

"I've never seen anything like that in Mistral" I said.

"It's imported from the deserts of Menagerie, the Parrot syndicate has been....acquiring Capivara for a very long time"

"So this is how make your enemies disappear"

"This is how I make my enemies disappear" the door above us closed and I heard something heavy being dragged across the floorboards to block it.

"You wanted to see my treasure, here it is" Parrot laughed.

"Keeping a Grimm in captivity is incredibly stupid and incredibly dangerous" I stated.

I squeezed Melanie's hand reassuringly, I needed her and her sister to remain calm.

I had fought Grimm before, they sometimes get past the city guards and went on a rampage, especially in less protected settlements like Wind Path, where I had grown up.

But when you've faced death every day on the streets, the Grimm weren't so fearsome, at least it was a quicker death than freezing or starving.

I had fought Grimm before, but I had never killed one, usually I held it off long enough for me to run away, but I'd seen plenty of Huntsmen and Huntresses take down Grimm, it didn't look that hard.

The first order of business was to get it away from Melanie and Miltia so they could escape.

"The back door, look for your opening" I whispered to which Melanie gave me a withering look.

"Lil Miss would be upset if she didn't get to kill you herself, we're staying to help" Melanie said.

"Okay, I tried"

I moved in on the Capivara as Melanie and Miltia took up positions on either side of it, the Grimm twisted around, turning on each of them.

It snapped at me and I smacked it's snout with my cane, it lunged at me with razorblade claws and tried lashing at my face, but I parried with my weapon and stepped to one side before firing a flare at one of it's eyes point blank.