(T)(R) IN A LEAGUE OF OUR OWN

TOMMY POV

It had been a while since I did that job with my grand mother, the thoughts of leaving Mistral and finally being free started off as an annoying itch that I couldn't scratch, but now it felt like a blistering pain that there wasn't a cure for.

It went from wanting a way out, to needing a way out, the only question was how?

But for now I had decided this morning that I was going to head back to my old stomping grounds.

The Hatter District.

Not a lot of things had changed in the district, it still had the same decrepit feel to the place, it was almost strange to think that I got my start in thievery right here eight years ago.

As I was walking down a small street I noticed a tiny rickety shop barely being held together, there was a middle aged man and woman working there.

The man at the front desk had enormous bags under his eyes, and a bushy beard that was just starting to gray, the woman in the back busting open the books looked just as tired, she was also constantly holding her throat and winced in pain.

It was just a moment later that she pulled out a small box of Alison Patels before sticking one in her mouth and started to smoke.

I knew exactly where I was, I was at my parents old shop, everything inside it had deteriorated, including the people inside.

"Hello sir, is there anything I can help you with?" My dad asked in a chipper tone clearly happy to see a potential customer.

He just stared at me with a smile, not a look of surprise or confusion, he just kept on smiling.

He didn't recognize me, I know it's been five years and I'm not that same ignorant ten year old kid any more, but it still hurt that he didn't recognize his own son.

"Yes actually, there is" I say to my dad as I put the four thousand Lien I got from that job with Dahlia on the counter.

"I know this is a bit of a strange request but I would like you and your wife to go into town and grab some groceries and make me a meal, whatever money is left is yours to keep" I state.

My dad's eyes went wide in shock, he was so surprised he didn't realize how odd my request was, he just grabbed his wife by the hand and ran off to the store.

"I don't know what to say? Thank you young man" my dad told me before he left.

There was something funny and oddly satisfying about that, my parents always hated the idea of doing illegal work, so much so they would practically let us all starve over it, but I just gave him a pouch full of dirty money, and he thanked me for it.

A few hours had passed and my mom and dad had came back to the shop and made me a steak dinner, they of course got steaks for themselves as well as we all sat together.

"You to look a bit too old and tired to be doing all this work, do you have any children to help you out?" I ask them both already knowing the answer"

"We used to have son, he was a devious little boy, always trying to get ahead by any means necessary, he's in a juvenile detention center now" my mom told me, her voice week and raspy with all the cigarettes she had taken over the years.

"Well you know what they say, pride comes before a fall"

"I couldn't have put it better myself" my dad said supposedly agreeing"

"I wasn't talking about your son, I was talking about you two" I tell him.

"What in Remnant do you mean by that?" My dad asked leaning forward in his chair.