Chapter 34: Learn about the Chamber

"Could I have your attention, please? Right. Now, today, we will be transforming animals into water goblets." Professor McGonagall states pulling out her wand.

"One, two, three, Vera Verto." She chants a stream of magic emits from her wand, and the bird becomes a goblet; the other students express amazement.

[Hermione raises her hand, while Julia looks at the goblet in front of her.]

"Yes, Ms. Granger?"

"Professor, I was wondering if you could tell us about the Chamber of Secrets." Students sit more straight up, wanting to know as well.

[McGonagall glancing around the room, seeing that the students look somewhat interested.]

"Very well. Well, you all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. Now three of the founders coexisted quite harmoniously. One did not."

Students who hadn't been in the class listen closely wanting to know what the significance was about.

"Everything she is saying is lies, there is no chamber." Umbridge scoffs, making many people roll their eyes.

"Just watch, you pink to-" Julia's statement had been cut off with Harry's hand holding her mouth.

Harry looked around seeing as everyone looked away from the two. Leaning closer to Julia. "We wouldn't want you getting in trouble now, would we?" His breath fanned her cheek as his fingers brushed her skin, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

Julia blushed looking down only slightly before looking up at the boy with raised eyebrows, "No-no we would not."

"Three guesses who."

"Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, pure-bloods. Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now, according to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Well, shortly before departing, he sealed it, until that time when his own true heir returned to the school. The Heir alone would be able to open the Chamber, and unleash the horror within, and by so doing, purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic."

"Woah."

"Muggle-borns."

"Well, naturally the school has been searched many times. No such Chamber has been found."

Umbridge smirks as a select group of people glare at her.

"What exactly does legend tell us lies within the Chamber?"

"Well, the Chamber is said to be home to something that only the Heir of Slytherin can control. It is said to be the home of a monster"

"Monster?"

[Hermione feels a sense of dread at these words; a horrified Ron turns around to look at Draco, who grins smugly at him.]

"Do you think it's true? Do you really think there is a Chamber of Secrets?" Ron asks as the group walk down the corridor.

"Yes. Couldn't you tell? McGonagall's worried. All the teachers are."

"But if there really is a Chamber of Secrets, and it really has been opened, then that means..."

"The Heir of Slytherin has returned to Hogwarts. The question is, who is it?"

"Let's think...who do we know who thinks all Muggle-borns are scum?" Ron stated sarcastically, gripping onto his books, a frown on his face as he glanced at his broken wand.

"If you're talking about Malfoy..."

Draco scoffs knowing fully well if he had been the heir he wouldn't have held it a secret.

"Of course! You heard him: 'You'll be next, mudbloods.'" Ron restates the boys words, making Julia glare at him.

"I heard him. But Malfoy, the Heir of Slytherin?"

"Well, maybe Ron's right, guys. I mean, look at his family, the whole lot of them have been in Slytherin for centuries." Harry stated agreeing with the boy, only for Julia to shake her head.

"I don't think so, I'm pretty sure if he was, he would have probably flaunted it." Julia explained softly only to be ignored.

"Crabbe and Goyle must know. Maybe we could trick them into telling."

"Sorry Julia, I didn't hear you."

"It's alright Ronnie."

"Even they aren't that thick. But there might be another way. Mind you, it would be difficult, not to mention, we'd be breaking fifty school rules, and it'll be dangerous, very dangerous."

"I'm in."

"Of course you are Julia." Lois exclaimed exhaustedly, she could only hope her daughter doesn't do anything too drastic.