Chapter one

I hate my life.
I hate my parents.
I hate people.
And I used to hate school too.
I was a self acclaimed introvert.
I hated socializing and just loved my peace and quiet.
My motto was "don't talk to me unless it's very important"
Did I mention I hate people?

"Pandora!!!!" My mom called(no screamed) from the sitting room.

"Yes mom" I said walking into the room
"And mom you know I prefer Amarachi"

"I don't have time for this young girl, if we don't get moving now, you're going to miss your flight" She said pulling my suitcase to the front door.

Ugh. I was hoping she had miraculously changed her mind and was calling to tell me to go unpack. A girl could only dream right?
I dragged my feet to the front door knowing this was inevitable. If I missed this flight, mom would just put me on the next one.

I looked back at my dog and heaved a sigh of relief. I hated that dog. At least I'll be able to sleep peacefully now.

Dad wasn't here to see me off. Who ships off their only child to a boarding school at 14 and isn't even there to say goodbye? He was away on a "business trip". I knew where he went. Mom does too. But we all pretend daddy goes on a business trip every two weeks.

Mom loaded my suitcases into the car and I fastened my seat belt. It was going to be a short ride. I couldn't even hope on traffic to delay my inevitable doom.
Stupid Abuja roads.

We got to the airport in a really short time (told ya).
I got off the car and mom got one of those trolley guys to get my luggage. We headed to the boarding gate and mom continued with the lecture she was giving me in the car.

"As I was saying pando..."

"Amarachi".

"Stop that! Don't take this your attitude to your new school. As I was saying, pay attention to your studies, only keep good company and boys should be the last thing on your mind at this..."

I rolled my eyes internally and tuned her out. Poor woman, if only she knew. Did our parents know their lectures aren't what stopped us from becoming "delinquents"?.

The final boarding call for passengers Collins Adebayo and Pandora Eze booked on flight 372A to Lagos. Please proceed to gate 3 immediately. The final checks are being completed and the captain will order for the doors of the aircraft to close in approximately five minutes time. I repeat. This is the final boarding call for Collins Adebayo and Pandora Eze. Thank you.

The voice of the airport staff blasted off the speakers as soon as we got closer. My mom started panicking and rushed me off to get my pass and on the plane.
Such a shame! My prayers were almost answered.

I located my seat and settled in. The flight attendant was giving instructions on emergency precautions. I don't know why they still do that. No one listens. Even if we did, it wouldn't help any of us. If something happened to the plane, we were all going to die.

I turned on airplane mode on my phone and brought out my iPad and earphone from my carry on. I turned on mean girls 2 and started watching.

Ladies and gentlemen, Airpeace welcomes you to Lagos. The local time is 13:05. For your safety and the safety of those around you, please remain seated with your seat belt fastened and keep the aisle clear until we are parked at the gate.

I turned off my iPad and gathered my belongings back into my carry on.

"Hello. I was trying to get your attention but didn't want to disturb your movie. You're a pretty girl. I'm David".

I turned to face my seat mate, looked him up and down and gave him a blank stare. He could pass for my dad. Men have no shame.

"I'm sure your daughter is also a pretty girl, sir" I said without looking at him. I stood up and joined the line of people heading out of the plane. Nigerians had zero patience.

After claiming my luggages, I looked around and tried to find the man my parents arranged to come get me. I saw a man resting on a wall, who looked like the picture my mom showed me. I pushed the trolley to meet him and he looked up from his phone.

"Are you Pandora?" He asked.

"Amarachi. And yes. You're Tunde right?"

He nodded his head, collected the trolley and asked me to follow him. We stopped in front of a car and he started loading my bags into it. I got in and stared at the people rushing out of the airport. Lagos. Everyone is always in a rush here.

We drove out the airport and into the inevitable traffic. I was starting to miss Abuja. Stupid traffic. I checked the time and it was already past 3. I pulled out my phone and opened maps. We were only half way there. I sighed loudly.

"Is everything okay" Tunde asked staring at me from the rear view mirror.

"Yes sir. I'm just tired of being on the road".

"I know a shortcut. Should I take it?"

"No please".

It wasn't because he looked distrustful, I just wasn't ready to be on the missing person's list. I closed my eyes and thought about my life back home. I reflected on my life in my old school and my relationship with my school mates.

Maybe it is time for a change. This is a fresh start. No one knows me. Here, I could just be Amarachi.

I decided to be a complete opposite of who I was in my old school. I'll try to tolerate people more and be easy going and cheerful. I couldn't just run home after school anyway, so I needed friends.

I stared out the window as we approached the tall gates of my new school and home. The words "Trinity Secondary School" were written boldly on a signpost by the gate. Along with pictures of smiling students in their school uniforms.

Here, I'll try not to hate my life,my parents, people or school. Well maybe not my parents. Baby steps.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

End of chapter one! My very first story on Wattpad !!
Please vote and drop a comment. Love ya❤️