ꜰᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍꜱ

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

Hodgins tore a page out of a book, folded it up and stuck it in his jacket pocket. "Okay. I'm ready," he said.

"Was that a note to Angela?" Brennan asked.

"Yes," There was a pause. "Just in case—That whatever you're gonna do to me sends me into shock—I might die," Hodgins breathes heavily. "Upside? Me not breathing, doubles your survival time,"

Brennan looked at Hodgins with shock and disbelief. "I'm not interested in surviving that way," Brennan reached out and touched his leg. "What I'm going to do is make a long incision in the fascia to release the pressure inside,"

Anxiety made Hodgins' heart rate spike. "And..how long is a long incision?" he asked. "Wait, y'know what? Don't tell me,"

Brennan looked him in the eyes. "It's best if I do it very fast and without empathy," She handed her belt so he could use it as a gag. "Here, hang on to something and don't fight passing out," she said as she held the knife next to Hodgins leg. She was ready to make the incision.

Hodgins placed the gag in his mouth and held onto the emergency handles in the back of the car.

"You ready?" Brennan asked him.

He nodded and she prepared to cut, but found a piece of something stuck in his leg. "Wait... "

Hodgins leaned forward and let the gag fall out of his mouth. "What is that?" he asked.

She looked at it thoroughly. "Evidence of what happened to you. Let's—let's worry about it later," she insisted.

Hodgins handed her a book. "Here, just put it in the pages of your book. I'll take a look at it later," He put the gag back in his mouth and mumbled something incoherent.

"It's best if you don't talk right now," Brennan insisted.

Hodgins spit the gag out. "I'm nuts about Angela. Over the moon. Stupid in love with her," Brennan looked at him as he started to cry. He continued, "That's why I bought her that—that crazy, expensive perfume. Man give you a bottle of perfume like that, it says—it says "I Love You". There. I said it out loud,"

He put the gag back in his mouth and got back into position. He was ready. As Brennan made the incision, he screamed.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

Hodgins woke up at his desk in a cold sweat, screaming bloody murder. He looked around him. He wasn't in that car, he was in the Jeffersonian. At his desk in the entomology room. He had fallen asleep while working late, again.

Before he knew it, he heard heels stomp on the floor coming towards him and a hand start to rub his back. It was Angela.

"Honey, is everything okay? I heard you scream. What happened? I told you we should stop working late nights, it's messing up our sleep schedule," Angela said.

"Sorry, I just, I had a nightmare," Hodgins explained, trying to regulate his breathing.

"No, sweetie, I think that was a fever dream. You're sick," Angela corrected him.

"What—Ange, no, I'm fine, It was just a nightmare," he kept insisting it was just a nightmare, but he knew he felt terrible. Angela knew too. There was no lying to her.

"This is what happens when you don't get enough sleep, babe," Angela sighed.

"I know, I know. It can weaken your immune system and make you more susceptible to infection," Hodgins groaned and massaged his temples.

"Mmh, come on, we should go home and in bed," Angela grabbed Hodgins' hand and helped him up.

"Yeah, I'd like that very much," he concluded.

════ ⋆★⋆ ════
TOTAL WORD COUNT
623