Chapter Three

Batman was too shocked to feel the bullet lodge inside him. Too shocked to feel the cold sting of failure ripple down his spine.

He struggled for breath as the world before him dimmed. A puddle of blood was quickly collecting at his feet and the rope soon became the only thing holding him up. But he was still alive. Still breathing.

Since shooting Batman, Jason had slowly made his way to the door. His footsteps were lingering, unsure, as though he didn't know what to do with himself. As though he were contemplating his next move after the ultimate goal of his revenge had been accomplished.

Batman had long since come to terms with his eventual death. He wasn't afraid to die. At least not to the extent that it would simply end his own life. He was afraid to die and leave the city in the hands of people like Scarecrow. Now, he was certain he wouldn't last much longer and there was no way of knowing whether Robin could get to Scarecrow in time. Jason was his last hope.

As Jason reached for the handle, Batman spoke, his voice weak and halting.

"Please, Jason. Don't let Scarecrow get away with this."

Jason paused at the door, his hand outstretched. He tilted his head slightly to the side, glancing backwards.

"You once swore to me that you would protect Gotham, no matter the cost."

Jason turned to face Batman, his internal struggle playing out on his face. Seeing Jason's confliction, Batman pressed again, repeating his earlier statement.

"You are Robin. You always will be. Save Gotham, please."

There was something about Jason that was different from the way he was before he had shot Batman, but Batman couldn't put a finger on it. He was subdued. But not in the cool, killing-calm way that he had been as the Arkham Knight. It was almost as though he were resigned, hollow. He looked tired. Like the fire of his spirit had furiously burned itself out until there were only ashes remaining.

After what seemed like an eternity, Jason moved, bringing his arm up to his face. He pressed a button on his wrist, opening a coms link.

"Commander, destroy the Cloudburst device. Then order everyone to stand down."

A confused voice answered back. "Are you sure, sir? What about Scarecrow?"

"He's no threat without the Cloudburst. We're done in Gotham."

Jason ended the call and pressed a few more buttons on his suit before looking over to Batman. Batman gazed back at him with half-lidded eyes.

He simply said, "Thank you." And truly meant it.

After a minute of silence, Jason opened his mouth to respond, but didn't get a chance to speak as the door behind him crashed open.

Scarecrow stepped into the room.

~~~

Robin and Nightwing had been scouring the city, interrogating every thug they met trying to find Batman. But even the Arkham Knight's men didn't know where Batman was. They didn't even know the Knight had taken him. That or they were very good liars. Robin doubted it. He had littered the Arkham Knight's men with a slew of welts and broken bones. He had yet to meet a man who was that good at lying.

At his wits end, Robin grappled up to another rooftop on the southern side of Founder's Island, near Port Adams. Then he got a call.

"What is it, Alfred?" Robin hadn't meant to snap at Alfred. He was just so frustrated that he was powerless to help Batman. Alfred must have known how Robin felt because he brushed over his irritated tone without comment. It would seem he was too excited to comment anyway.