Masterchef: Day 1

Twitters filtered through my ears. I sat up and yawned. I felt something jump on me. Wait, WHAT?

My eyes adjusted to the morning light. I peered at my blanket, to see Ally sitting on the edge of the bed, staring at me with wide eyes.

"It's time, it's time, it's time, it's time, it's time!!!!!!" She shouted.

"Ssssssshhhhhhh!" I turned off my alarm clock.

Ally was already dressed, and Mel was just getting out of bed. Both Mel and I showered and dressed in our best cooking duds, which, for me, were black jeans, paired with a gray tee. For Mel, they were black track pants and a forest green T-shirt.

We ate bowls of cereal (not mentioning any names)(Rice Krispies) and headed to the elevator, yet again. This time, we were alone as we walked to the kitchen. Everyone met outside the door, so we could walk in, single file.

The chefs were at the front with 16 white rolls on a tray. We walked to the front.

"Welcome to the first team challenge of Masterchef season 5," chef Alvin announced "We will randomly select 3 teams to work against each other, making a dish of our choice. Your teams will have 75 minutes to make 3 dishes of...cooked salmon with toppings of your choice, a baked potato, rich gravy and, for after, potato chips, made from real potatoes. The losing team will face a well known Masterchef classic. The pressure test, where one of you will be eliminated from this game."

"Please come up and take a roll." Chef Claudio said.

We all took on and got in line.

"On the count of three unroll your apron and put it on," chef Michael called.

"1..." We chanted together, "2...3!"

I opened my roll. Purple. I looked over at Ally, who had orange. To her left was Mel, and we smiled at each other. Mel had green. I was looking forward to the competition. I had made salmon plenty of times at home. I would probably do good in this.

The teams went like this:

Green= Mel, Joe, Grace, Jack, and Benji.

Purple=Sean, Crem, Liliana, Ariel, and I

Orange=Ally, Sammy, Tyrone, Simone, Celia, and Thelissa.

The orange team had 1 extra cook, so that person would be the captain. They decided to make Celia the captain.

Everyone got to go up to the chefs to taste the salmon. I could tell there was a light salt and seasoning on it. I just hoped my team would listen to me.

We each went to our group's table to start cooking.

"Your time starts.........NOW!" Chef Alvin shouted.

Immediately, my team came in a huddle to strategize. Crem started giving out orders. Sean and Liliana would cook and season the salmon, Sean and Crem would tackle the gravy, and Ariel and I would make the potatoes and chips.

I looked at the clock. We had 70 minutes left. We all began to cook.

My strategy was not to look at the other teams. I had to focus on mywork.

Ariel and I collected 5 potatoes. We had free access to the pantry. Both of us started scrubbing them. When they were all clean, I set 2 aside for the chips, and poked holes with a fork in three of them. Ariel plopped the poked potatoes into the microwave and pressed the potato button three times. We had about 3 minutes until the baked potatoes were ready, so we started on the chips.

I grabbed the chip maker from the pantry, and looked at the time. 48 minutes left. Both Ariel and I peeled the 2 potatoes for chips. Once they were peeled, we worked together to slice the chips, moving the potato side to side. The freshly cut chips were spread out on the chip rack, and salted. The baked potatoes came out of the microwave, and the chips in.