Chapter 13: The Investigation

"Ahh Isla! There you are, my love. I was starting to worry if you wouldn't come," I had just stepped one foot into the dungeon floor when Professor Slughorn's jolly voice rang into my eardrum.  

"My apologies, Professor," I panted as I made my way hastily towards one of the open stations at the end of the class. "I had some issues with-"

"What are you doing?" he cut me off with genuine curiosity.

"Professor?"

"No no! Come over here... would you mind, Miss. Patil?"

I watched in terror as he urged Pavarti Patil to scootch towards one end of the table. I could tell it was against her will as her brows furrowed together. I tried to give her an apologetic smile but her eyes darted all my gazes away. I felt oddly naked as the entire class gazed at me, stopping their lesson.

"Umm, thank you, but-" I began politely, trying to sound as respectful as possible. I did not know how to return back his passionate desire for me to sit in the front. I didn't know where this passion was coming from either.

"Oh oh don't worry. How are you going to see in the back? It is only right to put you in the front, so your talent don't go waste..." a small snorting came from somewhere in the class, which I identified as Hermione. It was unbelievable how narrow-minded she was. I was getting impatient at her constant spiteful attitude, so I did not deny Slughorn's offer again.

"Yes, yes... that Amortentia you made last week was truly something, I even showed Severus to tell how skilled he was to have taught a student like you, but he said he didn't have you last year..." he murmured to himself, almost inaudibly. "Who taught you potion-making?"

The question was so sudden that it caught me off-guard. No answer seemed valid in this case. I couldn't mention the royal coaches for obvious reasons.

"Umm, my parents..." I trailed off at the end. Is this convincing?

"That explains it! That explains why you have such a natural talent! You grew up in a potion-making family, am I right?" his eyes glistened with lights as if he just discovered piles of gold. "That explains why your brother is such a talent too! Merlin's beard, I've never seen anyone like you 2. He approached me after class the other day and I had the honor to chat with him for a bit... gifted at Veritaserum too... Speaking of which, where is that boy?"

Funny because I had the same question. Scanning across the dungeon while avoiding eye-contacts, I did not find the familiar face. All the Slytherins were present, except for Cassius. It was so extraordinary for him to miss classes

"Eh, all is well, all is well! Sit, sit, sit, make yourself home."

I shifted the stool on the hard ground, making screeching noises in the ghastly quiet room. This is so uncomfortable.

"So, as I was say-"

Slughorn began but was interrupted again by a small knock on the dungeon's door. Before he could allow permission for the intruder to come in, the door swung open.

"Oh, Severus! We were just talking about you, what a coincidence!" Slughorn chuckled lightly, his grin shining with livelihood. Snape, of course, did not return the welcome with the same efforts.

"So sorry to intrude upon your teaching," Snape's nasal tone started sarcastically as I shuttered with despise and goosebumps. "I am here to fetch a few students under the headmistress' order."

"Odd of you to fetch them at this moment, would it be possible later? You see, it's important for students to know how to conjure this-"

"The headmistress cannot wait," the cold reply slammed into Slughorn's face.