Chapter One: [Edited]

Chapter One

Jacey Brown and I partnered up on my first day of work. I am the newest and youngest detective in the state of New York. I was assigned to the Brooklyn North Homicide Squad where I will be investigating homicide and assaults. It is 27th precinct of the NYPD.

     Captain Dan Roberts, the captain of the New York City Police Department, assigned me to my first case after Jacey Brown, who has been working as a detective for a year, introduced herself to me. Jacey's recent partner had left the job the day before my first day of working as a detective.

     I am Jacey's newest partner. Jacey and I headed to a local address in Brooklyn, New York, because a young woman, who had called nine one one, had discovered a young woman's dead body in an automobile.

     I am Harrison Lawrence. I am a 24-year-old cop. Jacey is 27-years-old, and she's nine months pregnant and she is also a cop. After Jacey and I arrived at the crime scene, I sighed as I went up to the crime scene, and I noticed the woman dead in the car. The woman was dead, sitting in the driver's seat.

     As Jacey and I walked up to the medical examiner named Rebecca Laureates, Rebecca saw us walking towards her and I asked her, "what do we have?" as I walked towards the woman who was dead in the car. The victim had a pale face, and it looked like she had been sitting in her car dead for hours. Rebecca sighed before she could say a word. "Her name is Sophie Davis," Rebecca said.

     Rebecca sighed before she informed us that someone had brutally murdered the woman. It appeared as though someone had shot her to death and also raped her. "Time of death," I said. "Around eleven pm last night," says Rebecca. "She's been dead a little over nine hours, since it's now eight in the morning," says Rebecca once again. I sighed.

    "Okay, there's no sign of forced entry. I am thinking the victim's car was already unlocked. Windows don't look broken, and..." I had stopped talking, before I walked around the other side of the victim's car and I saw a bullet wound on the side of the victim's left side of her forehead.

    "Have you notified Special Victims?"

    I put on my gloves before showing the wound of the victim to Jacey. "Yes," Jacey, walking up to me.

     "So, the perp who killed her possibly used a nine millimeter. There was a bullet lying outside on the ground of her car," says Rebecca.

    "I will be sure for ballistics to look over the bullets and see what kind of gun was used," I answered back, nodding my head. "I have a feeling this person was looking for revenge." says Jacey. "Whoever killed this girl, they'd done a number on her," I said to Rebecca and Jacey.

     I looked at Rebecca before I even asked who had witnessed the incident. "Who witnessed the body, Rebecca?" I asked. "Mrs. Theresa Davis, she was the victim's mother. She's pretty shaken up right now," Rebecca answered back.

     I understood, nodding my head. Jacey and I walked up to Mrs. Davis, as I took my gloves off, before I got closer to Mrs. Davis. Mrs. Davis was shocked, crying and confused. I started talking to Mrs. Davis, and I asked Mrs. Davis if she could explain to me what happened.

     "That's my daughter, she was. I found her sitting in the car like that, dead." Mrs. Davis said, crying. 

     I sighed, "Okay, Mrs. Davis, you need to give us more details," I answered back. I took out my notepad and pen and I began jotting down important information about Mrs. Davis, who witnessed Sophie.

    "It was about 8:30 last night, and Sophie was telling me where she was. I was worried about her. She hasn't been home in two days," says Mrs. Davis.