Chapter 3

BBQs and Brunch

Lufi POV:

Ah yes, the April BBQ, this will be the first BBQ I've been to since my Dad kicked me out. Now that the old man is 6 feet under I can enjoy my Mom's side of the family. The second I saw my aunties we almost cried. I was a part of their book club and we would share all the town gossip. When I tell you these 30-year-old women were INVESTED in Jessica Meyer and Jack Mayfield's roller-coaster of a high-school relationship, my god I love them.

"Aunties!" I nearly squealed, running up to hug them. I know that seems weird coming from an emo boy, but I'm gay first and emo second. The four of us continued to discuss celebrity scandals, romance novels, and the best gossip ever: Small-town gossip. Apparently, almost everyone in this town is familiar with the She-Devil Marissa Green. What I didn't know was that her girlfriend Serena is Trans. I seriously need to meet Serena.

Right as I was about to tell them about Deimos my little cousins (who were now 10) dragged me to play in the sandbox with them. So yes, some cousins my age and family friends looked at us weirdly because there were two 10-year-old children making sand castles with a 21-year-old emo boy who had tattoos. One of my cousins (a 25-year-old businessman from an Ivy Leauge College) started working toward us as we laughed and had the time of our lives.

"Hello Lufi, are you sure you should be in the sandbox?" He looked me up and down judgementally. What was up his ass today? "You're 21 now Lufi, you should be talking with the other adults. Not spending time with snot-faced kids in a sandbox," He whispered in my ear. Ok, that was it.

I grabbed the tie of his suit and whispered in his ear in a low voice, "Listen here you arrogant prick, I haven't seen these kids or anyone in this family for 3 years. Let me enjoy the time I have with them, and then maybe you should go to a doctor to see if they can do anything about that stick up your Ivy-Leauge ass," I let go of his tie and he falls face first into the sand. I stand up and wipe my black skinny jeans off. "Ok kids looks like Uncle Tim has finished making food. Let's go stuff our face with hotdogs instead of sand like Cousin Jim seems to have done." The kids couldn't help but laugh before running out of the sandbox to wash their hands.

I slowly make my way over to the table where I grabbed a bunch of mini sweet n' sour and devilled eggs. I grab a bunless hot dog and some ketchup I can dunk it into. I sit at one of the tables which has my aunties, my mom, and one of my mom's new friends. I started talking with her a bit and she started telling me about her nephew, who honestly sounds like an angel.

Suddenly, I see someone behind her and my heart drops. "Oh, here he is now! Deimos, I was just telling this lovely boy all about you," Hold on. Rewind. I just had an entire conversation with my crush's aunt who are friends with my mom. Ok, don't panic, it's fine, you've known Deimos for like 2 weeks now. It'll be fine.

"Hey, Lufi! Wasn't expecting to see you here!" He smiles. Oh god, that smile. Don't blush. DON'T blush. DON'T BLUSH. DO. NOT. BLUSH.

"I can say the same thing," I smirk trying to play it cool. I look over to my aunties and they look at Deimos and immediately have a 'Nice Job' look on their faces. I love them to death but they can seriously be annoying sometimes. Listen, all I need to do is keep the conversation up which seems to have already started without me. Breathe, it'll be just like you're morning coffee. This'll be a long day.

Deimos POV:

If I'm being completely honest, my aunt had to drag me out this morning. I'm slowly regretting giving her a key to my apartment. I am literally wearing what I slept in, A black and red hoodie (Which definitely not Lufi's from the late-night walk we took that one time), a white tanktop (Because the hoodie was unzipped, and my classic sage converse that has been through a lot of shit.