01 | It's Just Business

People told me that I don't have a life. And they would be correct. Why would I try to live when everyone around me doesn't want to see me win?

I exhale with relief. My high school career is over. Those three years were absolute hell. When the principal presented me with my plaque, it freed me from that despicable school. The barely edible food. All those pretty girls who laughed at everyone walking by. The athletes flex their muscles every chance they get. Everyone secretly mocked me for simply minding my business. I won't have to deal with that anymore.

"Hey Ruko, where are you going? We have to celebrate!" my close friend Azia calls to me. My high school years would be a lot tougher without him and Jacob. Those two made school bearable.

"I don't know, bro. I'm drained."

"But all we did was sit for three hours for our ceremony."

"Yeah, that's why I'm tired."

"What are you, lazy and nocturnal?"

"You may be onto something."

Azia shakes his head and waves me off. "All right, Ruko. See you later." I return the gesture and head home. As I walk home, I take the surroundings that have been there for years. The road leading to my house is a rough one. In the neighborhood, the sidewalks are cracked, a mountain of trash is piled up from neglected neighbors, and the grass is almost as high as the rooftops. Despite its lackluster appearance, the neighborhood is quite friendly. Murders only happen twice a month. You never know how people die, in any case. It's always some 'freak accident.'

I can't wait to jump into my bed and forget about the world. I also have to think about what I will do after high school. Go to college? I don't think I have the dedication for that. Go into the black market? No, too dangerous. Oh well, I can think about that when I reach home. My pace quickens at the thought of relaxing.

I'm about two minutes away from home. A grin forms on my face. Once I enter my house and close the door, I don't owe the world any favors.

In a flash, a white beam of light grazes my right ear. My ear vibrates with a slight burning sensation. Wait, what was that? All I know is if I was a few more inches to the right, my head might not be here now.

"Damn, I missed," a deep voice bellows from behind me. My immediate reaction is to turn around to find out who it is. It's a man dressed in all black. A tight long-sleeve shirt, loose pants, and tennis shoes. He radiates a different type of energy I have never seen before. He's standing there, menacingly. He has fair skin, with short dirty blond hair. A mask covers his face. His only visible features are his deep blue eyes and an enormous pimple on his forehead. It looks like someone needs a good skincare routine.

"Hey, are you trying to kill me by any chance?" I ask the man with bad skin.

"Nah, I'm just trying to walk you home."

"Aw, really? I would love a walking buddy." His eyes narrow.

"Of course not, idiot. I'm trying to kill you!"

I really wanted that walking buddy. "Oh-" My disappointment is cut short when the man vanishes from my line of vision. Within a moment, I felt a foot pressing against my back. The kick sends me flying into a nearby wall. The sensation makes my entire body ache. I'm going to feel that one tomorrow. If I make it into tomorrow, that is. Looking up, I see the man approaching me. There is something different about his eyes. They've developed a yellow tint. I don't like the look he's giving me. His eyes tell me that he's mocking me.

"I can't believe they gave me such an easy target to kill. My rep should rise because of this. It's nothing, personal kid." He towers over me with those intimidating eyes. "It's just business," he says as he kicks me in the jaw. I feel my teeth holding onto my gum for dear life. The moment I recover, I rise and attempt to punch him in the face. Sidestepping the punch, the man drives his knee into my stomach. The pain that came from that was nauseating. It was enough to collapse on the floor, holding my abdomen.

Still, I can't give up. In a fury, I leap up and charge at him. He gasps as I try my best to give him an authentic bear hug. I squeeze my arms around him, and he screams in agony. Those days in the gym training only arms weren't for nothing.

"You're persistent, aren't you?" he growls through gritted teeth. The man manages to get one of his arms loose, and his elbow comes crashing down, connecting with my spine. I fall on the floor instantly. The tint in his eyes becomes more prominent. He points his right index finger toward me, and a laser-like beam hits my shoulder.

Now I can't feel my shoulder. Beautiful. He sends out another beam, but this one targets my left ankle. I can't move that part of my body, either. This isn't adding up. What's happening? A gasp escapes my lips as I realize what he's doing.

"Oh, it seems you caught on fast," he starts. "This is a part of my impetus."

I Impetus? What the hell is he talking about? Sounds straight out of an RPG game. I may be a nerd, but at least I go outside sometimes.

"I can shoot beams out of my fingers with different properties. For now, the beams I hit you with paralyze those parts of your body. I'm only telling you so that you can know how you died in the afterlife." Well, isn't that lovely? How generous of him.

"Aw, thank you," I reply. His face morphs into one full of fury. He punches me with the weight of a thousand suns. My head whiplashes due to the force. I'm definitely concussed now and slowly losing consciousness.

"I was going to kill you quickly to get this over with, but," he crouches so he can meet me at a closer level. My heartbeat quickens when I finally acknowledge this is my reality.

"You're annoying, so I'm going to enjoy killing you."