when they're organized by smell, of course.

Scott inhaled. It was time to talk to Owen. He was ready. He just had to find the biggest rat who made all of the rules. "Owen?" He called, scampering back and forth. But then he stopped. "On second thought, I'm not going to seek him out. I'll just talk to him next time I see him. Meanwhile, maybe I'll build a greenhouse."

Scott turned around, scampering to and fro marking out a place for the foundation. He discussed the construction with his dirt clods, as well as his plans for cooking. Several hours went by before he saw Owen scamper by out of the corner of his eye. "Oh, Owen!" He called, turning around. There was no one there. Then suddenly there was.

Owen and Apo scampered up and crouched in Scott's garden in greeting. Owen looked up. "Did you just make this? It looks awesome! Oh my gosh," Owen gushed, sneaking inside and peering out through the door.

"This is nice," Apo waved to Owen from the other side of the glass.

Scott smiled and blushed, pleased at the praise. "Oh, yeah, I just built this this morning. I thought a greenhouse would look nice in my garden." He looked down and noticed his toes absently drawing circles in the soil. "Oh, Owen, I've been meaning to speak to you. Um," Scott glanced to Apo, "just Owen, over here, if that's okay." Scott edged backwards, gesturing into his house.

Owen and Apo looked at eachother and shrugged. "Yeah, alright," Owen said as Apo leaped off Scott's garden and climbed a nearby piece of furniture.

Scott crouched, moving backwards through his house. "Owen," he started. Scott swallowed nervously. "I don't want you to feel pressured to do anything you don't want to," he burst out, unable to wait or find a more tactful way to put it.

"What?"

Scott stared down, digging his hindclaws into the soft carped he'd made himself. "I don't want to do anything you don't want to do." You don't have to be afraid of me, he thought.

"Oh."

Then because it seemed like a good idea, Scott said it aloud. "You don't have to be afraid of me." When Owen didn't immediately reply, Scott looked up. Owen's hair had fallen in front of his face, and it was really difficult to tell what he was thinking. After another minute went by, Scott ventured, "Owen?"

"Scott," Owen sighed. Scott's shoulders jerked in the smallest of flinches. "What makes you think I'm afraid of you?"

Scott lifted his head just enough to peer at Owen from under his straw hat. He couldn't meet Owen's gaze. "Well," he started slowly, "I noticed that you've, when we, um, start to have an intimate moment, that you don't like them, because you run away, and I just wanted you to know that it's okay with me, I want you to do what makes you feel comfortable."

Owen squeaked an exhalation of surprise. "Oh," Owen breathed out like a prayer. His shoulders relaxed and he rocked back slightly. "Scott," he said again, and oh did Scott love when Owen said his name. "But you're my friend, and a really important rat to the attic."

"Yeah." Scott smiled. "We're friends, you don't have to be scared. Just friends."

Scott glanced up to see Owen a lot closer than he was a moment ago, slinging one arm across Scott's shoulders. "You have no idea how glad I am to hear you say that," Owen said, giving Scott's shoulders a quick squeeze. Scott smiled tentatively and Owen grinned back, releasing him. "So, Apo and I were about to go on a quest run. Wanna come with?"

"Sure!" Scott blurted without thinking. I can always cook more later.

---

The End

Thanks for reading! As an ace man myself, I never thought I'd meet someone who could understand and respect my boundaries. This fic is an ode to my husband, who proved me wrong.

Please leave a comment to let me know what you think :)